Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nothing against ev's or people who drive them i, just think it's not the way forward, i have nagging feeling it is a stop gap while we wait for these , this is the way forward always has been

Agreed, until we come up with a way of super large capacitors that can charge in a couple of minutes or produce hydrogen in a way even remotely efficiently using renewable or nuclear fusion, EV will continue to be the best stop gap solution

EV sales will continue to be held back by a lack of charging points when you have no off street parking, if you cannot charge using your own supply the difference In price between using petrol and electric makes owning an EV pointless.

My next car will be a Toyota hybrid as I have no off street parking so an EV is not an option, I have noticed how many hybrids are on the road most of which are Toyota, they are now so popular if you order a Toyota hybrid today you have to wait several months for the car to be built.
I test drove the Toyota hybrid and hated it. Got Honda Jazz instead and love it

I test drove the Toyota hybrid and hated it.

The older hybrids had a bit of a noisy drone on hard acceleration due to the way the engine and CVT auto box work together for optimum mph the newer ones are far more refined and the electric system tries to run as much as it can without the ICE which the older one didn't, these cars are achieving huge MPG figures.

I drove the new one ride all over the place. No refinement. Uncomfortable

I have driven the Yaris and Yaris cross and thought they were both very good i will probably buy the Cross for the higher seat height but prefer the sporty look of the Yaris (below) i am not a fan of the Jazz.

The Yaris came 6th and Cross 15th out of 50 in the best selling car chart below the Jazz didn't make it onto the list,

1683393278831.png
1683392930908.png

22222222ure.JPG

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2022-full-year-europe-top-50-best-selling-car-models/

My personal experience. Particularly when sitting in front passenger seat. Not said bad handling. The ride ie in the seat was all over the place which made it uncomfortable even at low speed at corners and roundabouts. Combine that with the rudest most ignorant hard sell dealership I have ever been to (Chelmsford) it was no brainer to discount it.

Choices. If you like it then go for it. Worth trying the Honda though. I got the top spec and it is nice ride even on long trips. We love it in my house

Last edited:
Imagine that the future of transport was dependent on compressed natural gas, so effectively was restricted to people on mains gas. That would be no problem for people in cities, but a massive problem for people out in the sticks, who wouldn't have public transport to fall back on. As someone who grew up 2 miles from the nearest bus-stop, and until I went to college had only lived in houses without mains gas, I can tell you that way round would be a much bigger problem.

Yes, a proportion of the population have to pay extra for their gas, because they don't have mains gas - so either they get LPG or use an alternative. At least the electricity network is almost universal, compared to the gas network.

And if and when we get self-driving cars, then one solution would be for the car to go and refuel overnight at a central fuelling depot (or the nearest supermarket carpark) - Tesla demonstrated a robot charging station 7 years ago, VW have updated the idea with mobile robots that recharge at the wall and then go to your car whilst it's parked in a carpark :
I?ve had two cars (Ritmo and Multipla) run on methane and it's a simple matter to refill them. Once these were dedicated methane stations now they're in many petrol stations. Takes 15 minutes rather than 5.

Again you're only considering the motive energy source...what about the energy required to mine the raw materials, transport everything around the world, manufacture the component parts, transport them around the world, assemble the car, ship the car etc. ICE cars have a global integrated supply chain system that is unbelievably efficient. EV's have a long way to go until the entire supply chain network is anywhere as near as established or energy efficient as a typical ICE car. The main environmental benefit I see with EV's is nothing to do with CO2 emissions, but avoiding general emissions that worsen air quality in towns and cities which are actually causing or contributing to deaths today due to worsening health of people from poor air quality.
Most cars have similar components (bodywork, interiors etc) and it isn't so difficult to modify supply chains.

The main environmental benefit I see with EV's is nothing to do with CO2 emissions, but avoiding general emissions that worsen air quality in towns and cities which are actually causing or contributing to deaths today due to worsening health of people from poor air quality.

Noise pollution is a big problem and harms many people even though it is preferable to ignore it. EVs and hybrids are quieter.

Back