Dishwasher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince g

Reaction score
Evening all. So being a returning brewer, I've actually not done any brewing (other than cider) in our new house, which we've been in for 10 years now. The new house had an inbuilt dishwasher which we have just replaced as it's finally given up the ghost.

My first beer brew in the "new" house is ready for bottling. It's a Brewferm Tripel kit, so fairly simple stuff but my old notebook said it was good when I did it all those years ago and I love Tripel so I thought I'd re-start with that.

It's being bottled in 33cl stubby bottles. I thought using the dishwasher would be the best way of cleaning them thoroughly, but does the inside of a bottle get a good clean in a dishwasher? Also, I presume I shouldn't use any detergent? Probably a daft question but any advice would be gratefully received.

Generally it's the rinse aid that's the problem rather than the detergent, which gives that 'fresh' smell and 'urggh' taste on contact. Though on glass it may be neither. The main benefit from the dishwasher is the temperature. The cleaning efficacy through the neck of the bottles will be limited but the sustained temperature will effectively mean the bottles are able to be use direct from the dishwasher- cover with a bit of foil or the whole lot in a box/crate with a bit of clingfilm till using. The dishwasher can't manage a lot of bottles so you are probably better washing with plain washing up liquid then either rinsing with plain tapwater or starsan.

Dishwasher is pretty ineffective for washing inside bottles. You can get attachments that spray inside the bottle, but they're expensive. My tried and trusted system was to immerse the bottles in a bin (fermenting or even bigger) filled with a weak bleach solution. Leave overnight, rinse in another bin full of clean water and then sterilise when you're going to use them.

I say this as having tried the dishwasher method, checked inside a couple of bottles, saw they weren't clean and binned them in the bleach solution. Lots of unsavoury stuff floated to the top.

Back