Make co2 with a shark tank.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have a spare corny it seems you could make co2 easily more quickly than fermenting for it.

A mix of citric acid and sodium bicarbonate (baking powder) with some water, produces co2.

I can remember making something similar as a kid with vinegar and washing soda.

It seems the marine aquarium keepers use co2 in this way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30576565...JqzRlhvQpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This could easily be cheaper & more convenient than cylinders.

@aero-spaced-out thanks for the idea! Just need to work the maths out now.

@Buffers brewery MORE gadgets, means you gotta try this!

Last edited:
Don't thank me, thank the Brulosophy YouTube channel!
Using precious fresh CO2 just to transfer always seemed wasteful from I started doing minimal/O2 free especially since my current setup is using Sodastream which is just  expensive.
Seen the idea in one of their videos and always wanted to try it in some adapted capacity.
In the video he uses a fermentation to slowly build pressure and then can keep it living with just adding more simple syrup. Slow but will build up pressure eventually
The vinegar and baking powder idea seems very immediate but I like that approach too!

Here's the link to the video for those interested.

Don't thank me, thank the Brulosophy YouTube channel!
Using precious fresh CO2 just to transfer always seemed wasteful from I started doing minimal/O2 free especially since my current setup is using Sodastream which is just  expensive.
Seen the idea in one of their videos and always wanted to try it in some adapted capacity.
In the video he uses a fermentation to slowly build pressure and then can keep it living with just adding more simple syrup. Slow but will build up pressure eventually
The vinegar and baking powder idea seems very immediate but I like that approach too!

Here's the link to the video for those interested.

Thanks.. That's a good watch.

Back