dave_77 Brewdays- 2023 and beyond

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just realised I got a second place for the mixed ferm Saison at the Reading Comp
Screenshot_20240630-143709.jpg

Kegged a Kolsch yesterday which fermented down to 1.010 for 5.4% so a little bit over on the abv than planned but tasted good on initial tasting. It's in the lagering chamber for a few weeks at 1c.
View attachment 102259

Funny but the kolsch book didn’t inspire me to make one. I’ll probably change my mind when I’ve run the stocks down a bit and got an empty keg.

Funny but the kolsch book didn’t inspire me to make one. I’ll probably change my mind when I’ve run the stocks down a bit and got an empty keg.
What put you off?

I did go for something that was more inspired by the historical hoppy Kolsch. Thankfully with the abv being a bit higher the higher intended IBU should keep it balanced

What put you off?

I did go for something that was more inspired by the historical hoppy Kolsch. Thankfully with the abv being a bit higher the higher intended IBU should keep it balanced
Good question. I don’t think I was put off, just didn’t get the ‘must make this next’ feeling. Plus technically (legally) you can’t make one as it is a controlled name :laugh8:.

I didn’t know Kolsch is an accent, like brewing a geordie ashock1

I reckon I’ll make one later in the year.

Next up is my second attempt at a Staropramen with a bit of decoction to see if I get the colour right.

In the fermenter, hopefully to be kegged this weekend if a keg becomes free is another Golden ale.
This one is hopped with Endeavour & Taiheke for a UK/ New Zealand combo. Need to get it kegged as I want to brew an American Amber with Nectaron, Columbus and cascade this weekend.
IMG_20240826_104236.jpg
IMG_20240826_142400.jpg

Brewed American Amber a couple of weeks ago and kegged that, finished at 1.010 for 5.8%. Have to wait and see how this conditions, had a bit of a bite to it from the sample and not particularly hoppy from the 160g dry hop of Nectaron & Columbus.
IMG_20240920_174440.jpg

I can't remember 😂 although I don't think it's as good as the kegland version

Memory jogger - I'd asked which way the valve works. Yesterday I was planning to do a Kolsch and ferment under pressure in a corny so I got my spundy out to tested it out on an empty keg. It seemed a bit stuck at first and didn't let any gas out. I fiddled with the valve a bit and got it to work so I worked out which way it works - screw it out to lower the pressure, screw it in to hold more pressure.

As it took it off I spotted that arrows with a plus and minus was imprinted on the valve telling you which way it worked :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back