Cordless controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's homebrew Jim, but not as we know it!

Inkbird do a wireless thermometer... That's not quite it.
This needs a wireless controller.
Phone apps need not apply 🤣

Such thing does exist, but as far as I know it is integrated, I have a Traeger wood pellet smoker and it uses this controller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIGPARTS-Controller-Traeger-Pro-Ironwood/dp/B0BZMVP44F

Not sure if that is what you are after, essentially an inkbird, with a probe that sticks in the chamber to track temp, it puts a signal out to drive the auger to bring more pellets from the hopper into the burning crucible when the temp is below your setting. It also has one probe to track the internal temp of the meat and tell you when you are at the right internal temp, but I use the inkbird ones as more probes and i think slightly more accurate than the in built one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324243674587?chn=ps&_ul=GB&norover=1&mke

It is very expensive as a spare part though by the looks of it.

Hmm. I thought this might be the case.

Perhaps some one can think of a different solution.

Gas ring under a mash tun.
An electrically controlled valve will turn the flame on and off.
An inkbird 'could' control it but the probe wire stands a good chance of being melted and would need disconnecting everytime.

Inkbird with a cordless probe would have been ideal.

Thoughts... Ideas... ?

An inkbird 'could' control it but the probe wire stands a good chance of being melted and would need disconnecting everytime.

Thoughts... Ideas... ?
There are many high temp probes out there what sort of Temps are you going to expose the wiring too.

I liked the cordless idea because any corded probe would need detaching, when the pot is lifted from the ring... That said It prolly wouldn't be that often.

Last edited:
Tilt4Windows allows for the automatic remote control of smart plugs that can be used with heating and/or cooling devices via the temp of the TIlt

Oooo thats another way of doing it. I guess 200/300c - I am thinking of the flare up the side of a pan sitting on a gas ring.
Curious which stage of the brewing process you hope to better control measuring that 200-300c temp? You mention flame on a mash tun, isn’t it easier to measure the contents of the mash tun than extrapolating the expected effect of 200c for X time/minutes? Intrigued though as I always enjoy people doing things differently.

No no not even I am that bonkers.

When you pop a big pan on a 9kw bag ring there is some flare up the sides. Just like of a gas stove. So cables made of Chinese plastic would be vaporised in seconds.

Protective cables not measuring.

Thoughts... Ideas... ?
If you're looking to regulate your mash temperature I found an electric HERMS a la @The-Engineer-That-Brews approach to be the best solution. I tried to do it on my gas burner with manual control but wasn't successful. So just used gas burner for heating strike water and the boiler eventually. Here's a pic of my set up, electric kettle, copper pipe/silicone tube heat exchange and inkbird controller.
IMG_20240324_144849880~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back