Cheeky Vimto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tez If you pitch the yeast too hot i beleave it can kill the yeast?. Have you got a good thermometer??. I pitch my yeast at 20/25 degrees. The yeast sinks to the bottom then within a couple of hours it rises to the top then begins riseing and falling as it starts to ferment all within the first 4 hours and that was with cider yeast and SO4.

snail59 said:
The yeast sinks to the bottom then within a couple of hours it rises to the top then begins riseing and falling as it starts to ferment all within the first 4 hours and that was with cider yeast and SO4.

Mine did this all night, up & down. I checked it tonight once I got in & the yeast was suspended halfway up the FV, it wasn't moving.

Anyhow, I given it a real good shake to get some oxygen in it in the hope the thing wakes up. First time I've tried S-04 yeast too :? .

snail59 said:
Tez If you pitch the yeast too hot i beleave it can kill the yeast?. Have you got a good thermometer??. I pitch my yeast at 20/25 degrees. The yeast sinks to the bottom then within a couple of hours it rises to the top then begins riseing and falling as it starts to ferment all within the first 4 hours and that was with cider yeast and SO4.

I dont really have one, other than one with a duck on it for the lads bath water temp lol :rofl:
I put 4litres of room temp apple juice into the vimto before adding anything else so i shouldnt have thought it was too hot.
I have just checked on it, it seems that all the yeasts etc have sunk to the bottom.

Should i shake it up as Chris has or is it just best left alone and try and be paitent with it? :hmm:

Get a Thermometer mate you may think that its ok but normaly when ive added hot vimto as you have ive needed to cool it down by placing DJ in a bucket of cold water for 3/4 hours to get the temp down below 25. Its normaly around 35/40 degrees think you may have been pitching too warm mate.

oh bugger! that would explain it.

if i put in some more yeast now that its all cool and stuff, would it possibly get goin?

After checkin it this mornin, somethin has happened overnight but theres still not much goin on. Think i will leave it till Friday/Saturday and have a look

Guys, after 24hrs there was no activity, today we're at 48hrs & there's a small amount more of something on the surface even after adding more S-04 yeast. So half an hour ago I threw in the rest of the yeast, that's a full 11.5g bag of S-04 :? .

I'm going to give it till tomorrow to see if it does anything, but I'm not sure it will, I'm also not sure how it's gone so wrong..

Here's a photo of how it was tonight prior to emptying the rest of the yeast in:

Does that look normal?
It just looks like a load of small bubbles, but nothing is going on, even with the cap removed there wasn't a hint of CO2.

Turbotez said:
thats just like how mine is!!!!! do you have much at the bottom??

What method did you use??

Sediment is at the bottom Tez.

Here's exactly what I did:

All equipment sterilised, 3.5L of AJ at room temp poured into the FV, 600ml of Vimto boiled for 15 minutes from the start of it boiling (reduced down to 500ml), that was poured into the FV & the yeast sprinkled on top, airlock fitted & left it. :wha:

pretty much what i did, but i boiled it for longer, added yeast and nutrient and some pectolase to help with clearing :wha: this is odd, maybe its a **** batch of Vimto lol

Chris said:
Does that look normal?
It just looks like a load of small bubbles, but nothing is going on, even with the cap removed there wasn't a hint of CO2.
What are you mithering about? If there are bubbles it's fermenting, leave it alone.

Moley said:
Chris said:
Does that look normal?
What are you mithering about? If there are bubbles it's fermenting, leave it alone.

I just expected a little more to be happening after 2 days Moley, I am going to leave it alone now & see what happens toit :mrgreen: :thumb: .

That looks fine chaps. A Vimto will not throw a big yeast Head like a Beer or give a volcanic eruption like a Wurzel. It will fizz away with small bubbles as yours are doing. As Moley says quit your mythering its doing fine :thumb:

sorry for being a pain, guess its just cause im so new to this and this is my first attempt, well, 2nd cause of my hastiness, at something other than wine.

Its now at teh back, to be forgotern about for a week or so

Panic over. My airlock now has activity & there's a slight head forming. :clap:

Thanks to those who gave advice :rofl: .

I'm getting 1 bubble every 1 - 2 minutes.

Here's how mine looked when I got home from work:

How long at 1 bubble per 1 - 2 minutes is this likely to take?? :eek:

Latest posts

Back