Brew Books - What's On Your Shelf??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. It does sound like it. Try this from chromatology online...

In a recent paper, you and your team profiled a set of 120 diverse beer samples by rapid flow-injection analysis Fourier transform ion cyclotron mass spectrometry (1). Why is it important to uncover and assign compositional information to what your paper describes as “thousands of yet-unknown metabolites in the beer matrix?”
Indeed the process is common practice in high throughput metabolomic data acquisition. A notch or two up from my own Fisher-Price mass spectrometer, I have to admit. But, Chromatology online? Don't you mean chromatography? And as for the beer matrix.... I shal have to read this lagery book.

Beer Matrix reminds me of the film and the iconic scene of Neo dodging bullets.
dizzy-drunk.gif

Last edited:
Indeed the process is common practice in high throughput metabolomic data acquisition. A notch or two up from my own Fisher-Price mass spectrometer, I have to admit. But, Chromatology online? Don't you mean chromatography? And as for the beer matrix.... I shal have to read this lagery book.
:laugh8:
After I pressed post I wondered if it was chromatology or chromatography. Obviously too long a word to fit in my brain 😀.

I’m waiting for one of the graphic/AI image wranglers on here to post an image of the beer matrix. Would it still be green characters or golden ?

Definitely worth a read.

I did find a "beer matrix" on tinter, but it appears to be more a marketing issue rather than something physical that nascent CO2 or a metaboloid can bind to.
Anyway. I've ordered the book.

Anything substantial in it about fermenter geometry and/or open fermentation?

I suspect matrix just refers to the structure of dextrins, protein and polyphenols that forms foam.

Last edited:
Finished it (apart from the recipes).

A few things I'm left with are the choices sometimes made (which are normally seen as bad practice) for improved product including allowing hotside aeration/oxidation for flavour and/colour. The fact that racking to a secondary is done immediately after primary fermentation in just about all cases. And the feeling I should be designing beers from scratch.

There are other things I could say but I'd be straying further into spoiler territory.🤨

Good book.

And the feeling I should be designing beers from scratch.
It's the best part of brewing, for me.

Firstly, it's a creative outlet. Secondly, and more importantly, I feel it accelerates the learning curve when you go through the mental process of design, when there's a connection between choice and outcome.

Picked up a book in the Op Shop today, have had a quick look through it. All about the history of Australian brewing, they had it extremely tough in the early days before refrigeration. Something I didn't know was it was Carlton and United Breweries who first came up with hop extract using carbon dioxide in 1979 and made the first production plant exporting hop extract all over the world.
IMG_1237.JPG

Picked up a book in the Op Shop today, have had a quick look through it. All about the history of Australian brewing, they had it extremely tough in the early days before refrigeration. Something I didn't know was it was Carlton and United Breweries who first came up with hop extract using carbon dioxide in 1979 and made the first production plant exporting hop extract all over the world.
View attachment 101870

Found an old copy on Amazon (doesn't have the smiley bloke on the front with his pint).

so after reading this read thought i would add to my one and only book...the trusted Homebrew beer...nice drop yesterday...
Mastering Homebrew
Radical Brewing
Designing Great Beers

all very inspirational after having a browse...

so after reading this read thought i would add to my one and only book...the trusted Homebrew beer...nice drop yesterday...
Mastering Homebrew
Radical Brewing
Designing Great Beers

all very inspirational after having a browse...

I've got radical. Designing looks like it is about the designs of existing styles, right ?

Latest posts

Back