Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally!

I'm back in the land of the baking... well, the land of chucking stuff in the breadmaker, at least!

We had a bake off between my old morphy richards and the missus' old panasonic. The panasonic won.

Well actually we won because we had two lovely fluffy fresh loaves to chomp through! :D :lol:

This weeks efforts

IMG-20121110-00092.jpg
[/img]

IMG-20121103-00090-1.jpg

Had to bake two this weekend as the little *$%£*&^ devour it before I get to have any. Managed to have a bacon butty with it at lunch.

The loafs are getting a bit lighter now, I am kneading for 20 mins with a 20 rest followed by another 10, seems to be doing the trick. Going to get a baking stone i think next.

:thumb:

We started off with a bread maker about 5 years ago, made great bread, but the hole where the hook was used to drive me mad :x Then I bought a packet of Allinsons extra strong white bread flour and thought I'd have a go at the recipe on the side with one of the cake tins we have.....great results...just the loaf was too small. Now, I have a wife who devours most of the bread from a 1lb tin whilst it's still cooling so a re-think was in order :hmm: A quick scan on e-bay lead to this baby and we haven't looked back :party: The present mix favoured is a 700g mix for the tin using 250g Hovis Granary and 450g Tesco strong white...a mighty fine loaf. I've never strayed into free form...it's not very efficient...as the Germans would say :lol:.

Is it one of them with a sliding lid so you get a very square loaf? If it is they are expensive.

It's not one of the lidded ones G, but i did look at them, the sellers in Stockport but wouldn't allow pick up so I wouldn't buy it on principal......lol The problem for me ev is that it's really hard to get a high sided tins, I like normal size bread not munchkin size :rofl:

Thats why i though they look like the lidded ones as they are proper bread size. :thumb:

I just go free form, I have now learnt that if you make a batard shaped loaf you get pretty even sized slices in the middle, especially good when the little Feckers argue that one goy bigger slices than the other. :lol: :lol:

free form....au natural......... :D
who wants to be served regimented sliced bread.... get a cottage loaf or flat bread and a plate o stew and rip chunks off it...........

Otherwise we are quite dainty eaters in our house.... :tongue:

:lol: ...well I knocked one up before :shock: :tongue:
CIMG6426300x225.jpg
CIMG6434300x225.jpg

and within minutes a third had gone
....even gave swimbo blisters .....ha ha...that'll teach her......then again...probably not :roll:
Present fav mix 700g, 250 granary & 450 strong white :cool:

By gum lad, those crusts will put a curl in your hair....... :D

Looks like a good 4 rasher size, spot on for the perfect bacon butty
Itend to use pork loin steaks :lol: :lol: ...no really I do...not that often though
Just had a look through this thread, some lovely looking bread there Mike :cool:

What temp do you cook at, and for how long?
I used to follow the instructions on the Allinsons flour packet which are 15 mins 230, 20 mins 180....but now I just do 35 mins 230
This is our standard 'house' loaf so to speak..if we have time we play with other recipes, but more often than not there's not the time :roll:

Standard house loaf........what for building it ! :D

Its a BRICK !

So, you're all about appearance not functionality/content then hey p :whistle: :tongue:
Long gone are my days of fannying about with content spilling butties when out fishing...and my butties fit nicely in my holdalls square pockets :rofl: :oops:

Latest posts

Back