Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great looking bread Vossy. :thumb: :thumb:

I fancy making a multi grain loaf using a white and rye flour base but then adding grains. Was thinking of adding wheat malt I use for brewing and flaked oats for starters.

I want to get a baking stone, Asda have these

5052449066623_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg

Reduced to £9.00 it is 16 x 14" so would ideally fit in an oven and probably bake two loaves.

evanvine said:
:wha: :wha: What does a "baking stone" do?

You need a lot of even heat under a loaf to give it oven spring (rise/boost) and cook it through without hot spots. Putting a stone under it means it gets a constant solid heat to the base and the bread should pop out and bloom into a full even crust.

Also good for pizza because the toppings are so moist, so that the base is crusty. Otherwise the pizza would be a flop.

In this day and age of self restriction/cost I'm not sure I could justify the efficacy of the baking stone, Mikes link...maybe...just maybe...but solid stone :hmm: I'm not even sure we should be trying to recreate the affect of a bakers oven in the home...that's like trying to recreate/heat a Tandoor oven for one naan..hard to justify IMO :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
:hmm: I'm not even sure we should be trying to recreate the affect of a bakers oven in the home...

No different to trying to recreate the perfect pint,

Shiny, HERMS and conicals spring to mind :whistle: :whistle:

Ha Ha, I did recreate a tandoori oven in my Garage years ago for that nan, I used a new chimney pot and a base and lid the same as my Ikea bread stone. Filled with Charcoal and vented with cut on top and bottom. The Nan was super and so was the slow cooked Lamb and chicken skewered and hung on the rim. LOL. I also roast my own, (cheaper than roasted by half), green coffee in a popcorn maker for the ultimate fresh tasting coffee, none better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Y5ojdVWxE

Got the popcorn maker almost new on ebay for £10 :geek:

I think I will always go that extra mile for that professional result without going for the expensive gear if I can help it. Now I just need to master this wine thing. :D

Ok brother baker beer makers I'm intrigued. My standard loaf is currently 500g allinsons white strong flour, with a cup of spent grain, two tablespoons of honey and two tablespoons of sunflower oil. Now I'm wondering if I can use malt and other stuff like flaked oats or barley in the same way I have used my spent grains. Also I have a couple of pizza stones. How do I use them instead of using a loaf tin?

Yes you can but I think you would need to soak the grains first overnight in boiling water, this would effect the hydration of your loaf so you may need to adjust your water.

If you are using a pizza stone put it in the oven to heat up for half an hour or so then flour it and place your free form loaf onto it. Basically you need to shape your loaf and prove it then after it has proved cook it on the heated baking stone.

You will need to slash the top of the loaf with a sharp knife and you may also want to put steam in your oven. This is easy just heat up a casserole dish in the top of the oven to heat it up, like th estone then just before you put the loaf in put it in the bottom and put a little boiling water in to make steam, put your loaf in and shut the door.

:thumb:

By the way that may all be wrong mike is the expert I believe. :thumb:

Vossy1 said:
In this day and age of self restriction/cost I'm not sure I could justify the efficacy of the baking stone, Mikes link...maybe...just maybe...but solid stone :hmm: I'm not even sure we should be trying to recreate the affect of a bakers oven in the home...that's like trying to recreate/heat a Tandoor oven for one naan..hard to justify IMO :hmm:

What about a patio slab ? :whistle:

Probably crack under the heat.

Terracotta, granite and soapstone seem to be favourites, if you can get cheap large terracotta quarry tiles they are fine. As long as they are unglazed.

Keep your eyes peeled on freecycle, offcuts of granite worktops come up now and then. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:

Terracotta, granite and soapstone seem to be favourites, if you can get cheap large terracotta quarry tiles they are fine. As long as they are unglazed.

I had thought the same, Daniel Stevens (River Cottage baker ) recommends paving stones in his book - his thoughts were baking stones were generally over-priced, not a great fit for all ovens and too thin - he suggests measuring oven and buying a paving slab that will fit.

Hawks said:
graysalchemy said:

I had thought the same, Daniel Stevens (River Cottage baker ) recommends paving stones in his book - his thoughts were baking stones were generally over-priced, not a great fit for all ovens and too thin - he suggests measuring oven and buying a paving slab that will fit.

Concrete ones or a stone slab? :hmm: :hmm: I suppose stone could work you would use one on a fire hearth.

No different to trying to recreate the perfect pint,
Shiny, HERMS and conicals spring to mind
:lol: ...big difference IMO...a HERMS system only maintains the heat of a specific part of a system, ie the mash volume, which may be only a third the size of the vessel...a oven be it tandoor or home maintains the temp of the entire system independent of load ;) ...though overall I'd say home brewing was a much bigger waste of energy/water than baking :cool:

Latest posts

Back