Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's effort this is the loaf you get by following allinsons strong white bread flour instructions plus half a cup of spent grain and because it's for lasagne dipping I added chopped red pepper and olives.

DSC_0227.jpg

No bread makers were harmed (or indeed used) in the making of this loaf

Made a batch of buns ready for 'brunch' bacon butties this morning ....... used the Panasonic to mix the dough and finished 'em in the oven, left 'em to cool a while and really nice crusty fresh buns :thumb:

My old mitts are knackered with Arthur Itus so this was as good a way of getting quality buns without the pain ..... that could even be a French joke .. pain/bread :oops: OK I'll quit now :!:

I don't think kneading dough is very hard work..... I've never heard the wife complain...... :oops:

I have just spent 20 minutes kneading tommorows bread. A focaccia and a little Hobz malti again which i hope to have for my sandwiches on monday as long as the kids don't eat it :twisted: :twisted:

You'd make someone a good wife Alistair.....
Breadmaker, cheesemaker.... :clap:

Not a cheese maker yet.

And you missed the most important one..................................

Brewer

didn't like to mention that one, just in case someone was reading that shouldn't be reading, wink wink...

:D

Todays bread was a bit of a disaster. Made a small sour dough loaf and a garlic and rosemary focaccia. I made the dough last night and let it mature in the hope that it would rise better. Well it did unfortunately I didn't bake until this afternoon in which time it was quite sour and it had deflated quite a bit. Autolysis had set in. The fociccia was nice though the olive oil garlic and rosemary cloaked the sourness. :lol: :lol:

Another Loaf today probably my best to date. Not as heavy as the last one, kneaded for a good 20 mins, let it rise for 5 hrs before shaping proving and backing in a very hot oven for 50 mins.

IMG-20121103-00090.jpg

As usual my kids had half of it before it was even cold, going to have to do double next time.

:thumb:

Nice one Alistair. Looks like it got great oven spring.

I just won a bread competition with Cuisine De France. (AKA Delice de France) Just got back from Dublin on an all expenses paid trip and tour of the factory. Amazing set-up. They mixed my bread in a lab and then prepared it for the production line. The company want to make it for a year to see if it catches on. I'm hoping they give me royalties. LOL.

I got a boot full to bring home. Had to borrow fridge space. :)

Cuisine.jpg

Well done mike :thumb:

What's oven spring :wha:

Still a little dense but better than before. I kneeded for 20 mins let it prove for 4 hrs then shaped and proved for another hour. Used steam to cook. Going to have to do 2kg of dough next weekend.
:thumb:

first attempt at making bread this eve. I discovered the difference between 2 tsp of salt and 2 tbsp of salt the hard way... that's some salty bread! Must remember to read instructions more carefully next time! :? :oops:

Alistair, the spring is the bit that you get in the oven when the bread rises with heat. The reason I notice it is the way your cut opens and the dough rises through it. Normally only professional bread bakers can get it because they leave some life in the yeast when in the oven. Over proving the dough wont get oven spring. You get it because your a natural. :) and maybe my brother from another mother :shock:

LB. you will get told off here if you use to much salt. I did and :oops: :D When the Bread factory looked at my recipe they converted it to percentage which doesn't work in the home kitchen easy, but I realised I like the mathematics of the exact measures so im going to get some digital scales. Hope they don't think Im doing drugs. LOL

This last fortnight , I've been unable to make a decent loaf in my Panasonic bread maker. It tastes ok but it's not rising and is very dense.

I've watched it through the various stages of a french bread cycle and it did rise and fall twice and still ended up quite flat.

I've tried using different yeast and settings on the bread maker but the result is always the same? :?

Pearlfisher said:
...... I've watched it through the various stages of a french bread cycle and it did rise and fall twice and still ended up quite flat.

I would say opening the lid during the process will not help :!:

Check you've got the quantities of ingredients right, especially the water :idea:

I've never had problems with my whites or browns rising and always very light. I use hovis yeast that comes in packets but I measure out the yeast as the packet has over twice the amount needed for the bread machine.

mike383838 said:
Over proving the dough wont get oven spring. You get it because your a natural. :) and maybe my brother from another mother :shock:

Thanks for that Mike :thumb:

After my disaster the other week of over proving I was quite pleased with the results. I'm going to try something not quite as crusty, though I lake that break it has an incredible thick hard chewy crust about 5 mm thick :oops: :oops: (it is ment to though)

Probably try something out of Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice :thumb:

Yes...especially the water ! My son is a bread maker at Morrisons... he once had to dial in 55 litres of water to the mix.....he dialled in 155 litres !

The resulting soup had to be shovelled into sacks and dumped in the skip outside..... his " whites " were a bit stiff and sticky when he got home. :D

Latest posts

Back