A Thirst for Learning...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbottsbarley

Reaction score
Hello all,

Am a neophyte from Winchester, Hampshire.

I recently acquired a 5.5 gallon fermentation bin, a 5 gallon pressure keg with both a plastic valve lid and a pin valve lid along with a gas canister, 4 demijohns.

IMG_3816.JPG

Am completely new to this activity and not sure how it all works, so have joined the forum in hope of finding instruction to make something simple to begin with like a strong batch of elderflower champagne, then hopefully move on to making beer etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Welcome.
That's a very retro looking pressure barrel.
There are a few people that still use those old boots ones in a 'they don't make them like they used to' way. But if you were looking at using it, it would probably need a new set of washers & O rings.
There is bound to be someone on here that knows where to get them.

Hi Jof, thankfully the kit came with some new washers etc in a little plastic bag.
Before using it though, and/or the fermentation bin or demi johns, I need to sterilise them as they are a bit grubby inside.
What is the cheapest safe method of doing this?
Can I just use hot water and some household bleach, well rinsed out afterwards of course?

Last edited by a moderator:
People on here tend to stick to their tried & tested ways.
Bleach will work, but care is needed to rinse. (Milton might be better than toilet bleach.)

Others use hot solution of unfragranced oxy type cleaner. (I've used this & it does quite well at getting brown beer staining from white plastic fermenting buckets, but needs to be left overnight)

My main method is using VWP or equivalent (I use Young's homebrew cleaner/steriliser)

Others here swear by starsan, so you pay your money & make your choice.

But sometimes you just need to pick what's easily available.

Milton dead easy and cheap as chips plus sold at everywhere

Seconded.

I have used Milton tablets (two to a washing up bowl of water) for 11 years and have never had a wine spoil.

@abbottsbarley you dont need to fill the FV pour a couple of litres into the FV put lid on then swirl it around so it coats all surfaces do this again after 5 minutes 15 minutes total job done.

How to Use
Drop 1 tablet into 5 litres of clean, cold water. Let the tablet dissolve to form the Sterilising Solution. Pop baby items into the Milton Sterilising Solution and ensure they are completely submerged for a minimum of 15 minutes to become sterilised. Solution is effective for 24 hours.

Back