No, freezing does not kill bacteria

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a possible starting point for those of a nervous disposition:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22004814/

Here's an abstract:
This work aimed to assess the growth and survival of four foodborne pathogens (Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella Typhimurium, Listeria monocytogenes, and Staphylococcus aureus) in beer. The effects of ethanol, pH, and storage temperature were investigated for the gram-negative pathogens (E. coli O157:H7 and Salmonella Typhimurium), whereas the presence of hops ensured that the gram-positive pathogens (L. monocytogenes and S. aureus) were rapidly inactivated in alcohol-free beer. The pathogens E. coli O157:H7 and Salmonella Typhimurium could not grow in the mid-strength or full-strength beers, although they could survive for more than 30 days in the mid-strength beer when held at 4°C. These pathogens grew rapidly in the alcohol-free beer; however, growth was prevented when the pH of the alcohol-free beer was lowered from the "as received" value of 4.3 to 4.0. Pathogen survival in all beers was prolonged at lowered storage temperatures.

There are a host of many different pathogens on fruit; if it hasn't been treated, a whole batch of beer can and will be spoiled, despite the pH and alcohol content.

I refuse to put fruit in beer, it never makes a beer better. So, all good here.
I would have agreed until I discovered a proper kriek lambic beer.

Everything about this beer is wrong. It uses naturally occurring yeast and black cherries.
Yet the outcome is one of the most wonderful things.

Everything about this beer is wrong. It uses naturally occurring yeast and black cherries.
Yet the outcome is one of the most wonderful things.
That's where the inspirational spark occurs.
Kriek deserves to be classed as it's own drink in it's own right. It's not a cider. It's not a beer. It's not a fruit juice. It's a kriek.

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily drink kriek, framboise and all the other variants. I've drunk them at source, at Cantillon, Tilquin, Drie Fontainen, Hanssens, Boon, Oud Beersel. For me the fruit detracts from the base beer, never making it better, I much prefer straight Gueuze.

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily drink kriek, framboise and all the other variants. I've drunk them at source, at Cantillon, Tilquin, Drie Fontainen, Hanssens, Boon, Oud Beersel. For me the fruit detracts from the base beer, never making it better, I much prefer straight Gueuze.

Agreed. I was back in Belgium a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed Cantillon Sang Bleu and Drogone, but found myself going back to straight Gueuze time and time again. Just a fantastic, complex style.

Brussels Beer Project have started doing Lambic as part of their Dansaert project, and their Gueuze was surprisingly good.

I think Tilquin are probably my favourite. What's your go-to?

@Brew_DD2 I supposed go to would be Boon as I can get it from the supermarket, so always have a bottle or two in.

Outside of that its a case of whatever crops up and how much I want to spend at the time, stuff like De Cam, Cantillon Lou Pepe, can get pricey. Giradin 1882 Black Label is usually well priced. I really like the dryhopped Cantillon Curve St Gilliose, too.

I keep hearing good things from people who know what they're talking about, regarding Tommie Sjef's wild beers from the Netherlands. Not tried any yet.

@Brew_DD2 I supposed go to would be Boon as I can get it from the supermarket, so always have a bottle or two in.

Outside of that its a case of whatever crops up and how much I want to spend at the time, stuff like De Cam, Cantillon Lou Pepe, can get pricey. Giradin 1882 Black Label is usually well priced. I really like the dryhopped Cantillon Curve St Gilliose, too.

I keep hearing good things from people who know what they're talking about, regarding Tommie Sjef's wild beers from the Netherlands. Not tried any yet.

I really enjoyed the Cantillon St Gilloise. I'll have to keep an eye out for this Dutch wild beer.

There are a host of many different pathogens on fruit; if it hasn't been treated, a whole batch of beer can and will be spoiled, despite the pH and alcohol content.
It makes you wonder how cider ever gets made. A quick rinse if the apples are lucky and then left to ferment with whatever flora is present.

Back