A.I

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you worried about A.I becoming self aware?

• Yes - If the experts are saying it could happen it probably will.

• No - The experts will make sure it doesn't "Go wrong" (as mentioned in the video)

Results are only viewable after voting.
The people who already make them!

Supermarket checkouts are a good example of how automation could take over if allowed this will happen as the old farts who dont like using self serve die off and they become the norm.

Again i ask -
Where are all the millions of truck, bus, train and van drivers going to go if driverless vehicles ever become commonplace and that is just one industry.
Yes they are the people who make them but it is a new industry.
Supermarket checkouts won't reduce staff, labour is a costly overhead, 'IF' staff was reduced profits would rise investment would go into new stores rather than paying the tax dept, therefore employing more staff. But staff aren't reduced.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/are-self-...nsumer expert says no,at QUT told Yahoo News.
Again I will say look at history, look at the firms who are well into AI most have increased their staff levels or stayed constant, more jobs will be created.

I dont read the rags the the BBC will do for me.

This was published on the BBC site 17 minutes ago no sensationalism just facts ;)

I doubt the 55,000 mentioned below will be offered alternative employment they certainly aint discussing it, looks like BT dont have more jobs than people.

BT to cut 55,000 jobs with up to a fifth replaced by AI

Telecoms giant BT is to shed up to 55,000 jobs by the end of the decade, mostly in the UK, as it cuts costs.

Up to a fifth of those cuts will come in customer services as staff are replaced by technologies including artificial intelligence.
The headcount reduction from the current workforce of 130,000 includes staff and contractors.
"Whenever you get new technologies you can get big changes," said chief executive Philip Jansen.
He said "generative AI" tools such as ChatGPT - which can write essays, scripts, poems, and solve computer coding in a human-like way - "gives us confidence we can go even further".
Mr Jansen said AI would make services faster, better and more seamless, adding that the changes would not mean customers will "feel like they are dealing with robots".
"We are multi-channel, we are online, we have 450 stores and that's not changing at all," he said.
"There are plenty of opportunities for our customers to deal with people at BT, plenty of people to speak to."
Mr Jansen added that "new technologies drive new jobs", although BT has said it will have a"much smaller workforce" by the end of the 2020s.
BT, which is the UK's largest broadband and mobile provider, is currently continuing to expand its fibre network as it moves away from copper. The company said that once the work was completed it would not need as many staff to build and maintain its networks.
In addition, newer, more efficient technology, including artificial intelligence, means fewer people will be needed to serve customers in future, it said.
The move comes shortly after Vodafone said it would axe a tenth of its staff over the next three years, equating to 11,000 job

UK hit

Mr Jansen said BT would become "a leaner business with a brighter future", with the firm planning to get rid of between 40,000 and 55,000 jobs by 2030.
The firm has about 80,000 employees in the UK, and this is where the bulk of the cuts will come. It has about 20,000 staff abroad.
It also has 30,000 contractors, mainly abroad. Many of those roles will go.
The cuts break down as:
  • More than 15,000 cuts as BT completes building fibre networks in the UK
  • More than 10,000 as new UK networks require less maintenance
  • More than 10,000 from using new tech including AI
  • About 5,000 from restructuring
The Communications and Workers Union (CWU) said the BT announcement was "no surprise".
"The introduction of new technologies across the company, along with the completion of the fibre infrastructure build replacing the copper network, was always going to result in less labour costs for the company in the coming years," a CWU spokesperson said.
But the union said it wants BT to keep as many of its core employees as possible, with job cuts coming from sub-contractors "in the first instance", and through roles not being replaced as people leave the business.
The BT announcement was made as it reported a 12% drop in profits of £1.7bn for the year to April.
Its shares fell more than 7% after its results fell short of analysts' expectations.
James Barford, head of telecoms research at Enders Analysis, said the BT job cuts were mostly about fewer people being needed in building networks, whereas the Vodafone cuts were "more general efficiency savings".
He said that in both cases plans were "already broadly in place, with savings previously described in monetary terms rather than headcount reduction".
Possibly, the firms are now talking about job cuts "to help convince sceptical investors that they will actually deliver the promised savings", Mr Barford added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65631168
You definitely have to broaden your horizon, instead of just reading the one side of the argument, look at both. There are plenty of optimistic views on the future, the world around us changes constantly, it has done since we left the trees.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adigas...tion-but-not-job-destruction/?sh=38a6bdd73b3e

definitely have to broaden your horizon, instead of just reading the one side of the argument, look at both.
As it looks like we will never agree and as my original question was about members thoughts on the question below I will leave it there.

Are you worried about A.I becoming self aware?

It's already here

BT rocked by backlash as it slashes 55,000 jobs: Sacked workers to be replaced by artificial intelligence, i can here all those little robotic voices aw bless em​

Oh yes indeed, it will go spectacularly wrong. For a number of reasons.

A. Unintended sequence of events
B. Humans are not black and white
C. **** code
D. Corporate been-counters
E. Network coverage

Again I will say look at history, look at the firms who are well into AI most have increased their staff levels or stayed constant, more jobs will be created.
History has not seen this sort of upheaval before. On such scale, affecting so many, so quickly.

And we haven't even touched on augmented reality, economic debt, additive manufacturing, migration and climate yet.

Or any of these being used maliciously, either singly or together.

Look at history, the back of my bog door would probably be my helpful. 🤣🤣

History has not seen this sort of upheaval before. On such scale, affecting so many, so quickly.

And we haven't even touched on augmented reality, economic debt, additive manufacturing, migration and climate yet.

Or any of these being used maliciously, either singly or together.

Look at history, the back of my bog door would probably be my helpful. 🤣🤣
As I mentioned it isn't for the gullible, insecure or ill at ease. Those who only read into what the downside 'may' be without taking into consideration of the benefits will always cast doubt. I would guess that those who are worried and not embracing the future are the elderly, as well as the gullible, insecure, or ill at ease or a combination of all four.

As I mentioned it isn't for the gullible, insecure or ill at ease. Those who only read into what the downside 'may' be without taking into consideration of the benefits will always cast doubt. I would guess that those who are worried and not embracing the future are the elderly, as well as the gullible, insecure, or ill at ease or a combination of all four.
And on the flip side are those who won't take their rose tinted spectacles off and admit there is a very good chance AI could become self aware and it's not a new debate it's been going on for years, as i said the thread is about members thoughts on the dangers of AI becoming self aware not your condescending views of members who think it may end badly

Last edited:
In this case we cant look to history as to what the impact of AI will despite history teaching us that every technological change has kicked off an exponential improvement in technology and peoples lives. The main difference going forward is demographics. Every 1st world nations populations are in chronic decline so there isn't enough people being born to continue the same pace of progress that we've seen in the last 100 years so AI will/could actually save us from future decline and enable us to continue on our path to continually improving technological progress. AI is not a risk to jobs....declining populations means there wont be enough people for all the jobs we need to keep our world moving...and we've seen the devastating impact of slowing down and in some cases completely halting our global machine through the utterly disastrous lockdown policies...its been utterly devastating for billions of people over several generations.

We take for granted the world we've built for ourselves and the benefits it gives us.

And on the flip side are those who won't take their rose tinted spectacles off and admit there is a very good chance AI could become self aware and it's not a new debate it's been going on for years, as i said the thread is anout members thoughts on the dangers of AI becoming self aware not your. condescnding views of members who thinkk it may end badly
It was you who stated the view it was going to to remove 300 million jobs in post 3!
I wouldn't have chimed in otherwise. Just because my view is different to yours you you state my view is condescending! Where as each of your posts is just forwarding one side of a two sided argument. As I said broaden your horizons and digest both the pro's and the con's.

Last edited by a moderator:
AI answering emails is stupidity presently. It just goes round and round with no resolution until a person with intelligence jumps in and sorts it out. I think at the present time AI should be AD as it is dumb

SWMBO hates the things for the reasons you have highlighted, i guess itll be a few years before we go full self serve and even then they will need at least one normal till for those that cannot use them.
I'd rather use them because less handling of food by others and on the face of it less queuing time and you get time to properly pack but if you get more than one call for assistant (who is usually not present or chatting to another member of staff) then it takes longer. It's not AI though just simple automation.

AI would look at your face and determine if you could be sold age restricted products which would reduce staff intervention by 1 for about half the time.
As for poppodom detection if you've scanned them and the weight hasn't increased on the scales a camera could using AI detect if they had been placed on the bagging area scales.

In fact AI would be good if you didnt need to scan the barcode at all, just show it a product and it will work out from the pic what it was. no more having to flip stuff around to present to the barcode reader.

It's already here

BT rocked by backlash as it slashes 55,000 jobs: Sacked workers to be replaced by artificial intelligence, i can here all those little robotic voices aw bless em​

I suspect almost all of these are from their 'customer services' dept. and having had to endure the incompetence of BT's customer service via their (no)help lines then Siri could have done a better job let alone AI.

I think we'll see alot of companies who've been suffering incompetent staff jumping on the opportunity to incorporate AI and get rid of difficult staff. But that is not the fault of the companies or AI. You reap what you sow.

As for supermarkets Aldi show that it's not al about the checkout. they rarely have all of their checkouts open and people will jump on the checkouts when it gets busy and then as soon as it dies off a bit will jump back on to other jobs like stock taking, stacking shelves, taking breaks etc. It's a well oiled machined just as you'd expect from the Germans. I don't recall Tesco and the like sacking loads of people when they introduced self checkouts.

I have used Chatgpt for work.
Very impressive tool. Quite scary at how quickly it has improved over a couple of months

Latest posts

Back