A.I

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you worried about A.I becoming self aware?

• Yes - If the experts are saying it could happen it probably will.

• No - The experts will make sure it doesn't "Go wrong" (as mentioned in the video)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Because I am looking at history, not what the rags say. Your posts are quoting directly what they are assuming.
Easy to see how religion got a following, the gullible will believe whatever they are told despite the source, I really thought those days were over and people were smarter.
The group DEVO had it right re: human race.

As I said before Coles supermarkets have introduced self check outs without reducing staff they have gone on to other duties.
As I said my lad works in a big supermarkets omly two tills are self serve if they went all self serve next week where would all the people go they cannot make jobs that don't exist, they run these places on skeleton staff .

Where are all the millions of truck, bus, train and van drivers going to go if driverless vehicles ever become commonplace and that is just one industry.
Absolutely. I think people are missing a lot of the secondary & network effects.

When (just) cars and trucks become autonomous there is a knock on effect.
It will be used more (pretty much non-stop)
It doesn't need as much parking space.
It won't carry the same insurance risks.
It will probably be operated by the the manufacturer.

So who is affected..
the insurance industry,
fuel stations,
Vehicle parking land
land prices
Car and truck builders (build less)
Schools
Homes
House price
buses
Servicing
Accident repair
Taxis
Civil engineering
Policing
Highways staff
DVLA STAFF
Showrooms
Local delivery services
Finance
... And.....burger vans 😱😱😱😱

I could go on, but I think that's enough.
This is not negative. Its the facts as I see it.

Ps. And WTF are Uber going to do when, the automotive builders/manufacturers will change to ultimately become the owners of your ride.

Last edited:
As I said my lad works in a big supermarkets omly two tills are self serve if they went all self serve next week where would all the people go they cannot make jobs that don't exist, they run these places on skeleton staff .
As I said Coles are the big super market here along with Woolworths, there are more self serve than cashier manned tills. No one has lost a job. Other duties are found for them. Go through a supermarket, look at the amount of ready made meals there are, who makes those? Look at gravy in sachets, how easy is it to make gravy? There is always going to be more jobs than people to fill them. Don’t believe what the sensationalists tell you delve further into the subject then make your own mind up. Don’t let the rags make it up for you.

Britannica Dictionary definition of ARTIFICIAL

: not natural or real : made, produced, or done to seem like something natural
So we will really be living the dream, we all talk about doomsday, that could one day be replaced by fubar day and most likely will,

, look at the amount of ready made meals there are, who makes those?

The people who already make them!

Supermarket checkouts are a good example of how automation could take over if allowed this will happen as the old farts who dont like using self serve die off and they become the norm.

Again i ask -
Where are all the millions of truck, bus, train and van drivers going to go if driverless vehicles ever become commonplace and that is just one industry.

Last edited:
There is always going to be more jobs than people to fill them. Don’t believe what the sensationalists tell you delve further into the subject then make your own mind up. Don’t let the rags make it up for you

I dont read the rags the the BBC will do for me.

This was published on the BBC site 17 minutes ago no sensationalism just facts ;)

I doubt the 55,000 mentioned below will be offered alternative employment they certainly aint discussing it, looks like BT dont have more jobs than people.

BT to cut 55,000 jobs with up to a fifth replaced by AI

Telecoms giant BT is to shed up to 55,000 jobs by the end of the decade, mostly in the UK, as it cuts costs.

Up to a fifth of those cuts will come in customer services as staff are replaced by technologies including artificial intelligence.
The headcount reduction from the current workforce of 130,000 includes staff and contractors.
"Whenever you get new technologies you can get big changes," said chief executive Philip Jansen.
He said "generative AI" tools such as ChatGPT - which can write essays, scripts, poems, and solve computer coding in a human-like way - "gives us confidence we can go even further".
Mr Jansen said AI would make services faster, better and more seamless, adding that the changes would not mean customers will "feel like they are dealing with robots".
"We are multi-channel, we are online, we have 450 stores and that's not changing at all," he said.
"There are plenty of opportunities for our customers to deal with people at BT, plenty of people to speak to."
Mr Jansen added that "new technologies drive new jobs", although BT has said it will have a"much smaller workforce" by the end of the 2020s.
BT, which is the UK's largest broadband and mobile provider, is currently continuing to expand its fibre network as it moves away from copper. The company said that once the work was completed it would not need as many staff to build and maintain its networks.
In addition, newer, more efficient technology, including artificial intelligence, means fewer people will be needed to serve customers in future, it said.
The move comes shortly after Vodafone said it would axe a tenth of its staff over the next three years, equating to 11,000 job

UK hit

Mr Jansen said BT would become "a leaner business with a brighter future", with the firm planning to get rid of between 40,000 and 55,000 jobs by 2030.
The firm has about 80,000 employees in the UK, and this is where the bulk of the cuts will come. It has about 20,000 staff abroad.
It also has 30,000 contractors, mainly abroad. Many of those roles will go.
The cuts break down as:
  • More than 15,000 cuts as BT completes building fibre networks in the UK
  • More than 10,000 as new UK networks require less maintenance
  • More than 10,000 from using new tech including AI
  • About 5,000 from restructuring
The Communications and Workers Union (CWU) said the BT announcement was "no surprise".
"The introduction of new technologies across the company, along with the completion of the fibre infrastructure build replacing the copper network, was always going to result in less labour costs for the company in the coming years," a CWU spokesperson said.
But the union said it wants BT to keep as many of its core employees as possible, with job cuts coming from sub-contractors "in the first instance", and through roles not being replaced as people leave the business.
The BT announcement was made as it reported a 12% drop in profits of £1.7bn for the year to April.
Its shares fell more than 7% after its results fell short of analysts' expectations.
James Barford, head of telecoms research at Enders Analysis, said the BT job cuts were mostly about fewer people being needed in building networks, whereas the Vodafone cuts were "more general efficiency savings".
He said that in both cases plans were "already broadly in place, with savings previously described in monetary terms rather than headcount reduction".
Possibly, the firms are now talking about job cuts "to help convince sceptical investors that they will actually deliver the promised savings", Mr Barford added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65631168

Last edited:
I see they have now introduced driverless buses in Edinburgh, although they are manned by two members of staff which seems to sort of defeat the object :laugh8:
I imagine that is to keep nervous customers happy, you can bet once they can publish good safety figures it'll be one member of staff then non.

View attachment 85725
Created using night cafe text to art
Here are some examples made by blue willow and midjourney. The latter being one of the best in the world. Promt is : a painting by a renowned artist of a great bald eagle.

Attachments

• 43263753-90fb-4e4f-852f-89553a17626d.jpg
    43263753-90fb-4e4f-852f-89553a17626d.jpg
    32.2 KB
  • 35614970-24c9-4181-875d-644df014e85a.jpg
    35614970-24c9-4181-875d-644df014e85a.jpg
    42.5 KB
  • soyyojuli_a_realistic_painting_of_a_great_eagle._Lifelike_color_9d30c14d-bce0-4be4-b172-fd942a...png
    soyyojuli_a_realistic_painting_of_a_great_eagle._Lifelike_color_9d30c14d-bce0-4be4-b172-fd942a...png
    545.1 KB
All i did was type in soaring eagle and that is what it generated
Yeah, but you can pretty much type that into Google and it will show nice images too. The AI didn't have to really do anything.

Yeah, but you can pretty much type that into Google and it will show nice images too. The AI didn't have to really do anything.
Not the same. The images shown by Google are other people's images, the one genereted by AI are generated for you. You can also continue building on these images with more prompts, you can blend images, or use an image as referanse.

The people who already make them!

Supermarket checkouts are a good example of how automation could take over if allowed this will happen as the old farts who dont like using self serve die off and they become the norm.

Again i ask -
well driving will be phased out because it gives the peons too much freedom. :confused.: At that point ai will be more able to cope with a predictable algorithm rather than erratic human behavior. we were at a supermarket doing a big shop today and 5 times the self service till needed human intervention because....

A) It thought our sturdy bags were far too heavy and it thought we were shoplifting.
B) The weight of a product wasn't accurate (rhubarb - ffs) and it thought were were shoplifting
C) The scales were not correctly weighting what we placed in the bagging area and it thought we were shoplifting (faulty weighting tech or incorrect database entry)
D) We were not over 18 when buying alcohol, despite the fact you need to be over 18 to have a credit card :rolleyes:
E) A bag of poppadoms were so light when we placed them into the bagging area the till said place item into the bagging area so because there was no sign of a member of staff coming over again I thought... s*d that and pressed cancel item. so they were quite correct. In the end I DID shoplift! They did rip me off last week by not giving a refund and a replacement as per their policy a refund only so they still technically owe me 80p (after poppadom re-adjustment)

Last edited:
5 times the self service till needed human intervention because....

SWMBO hates the things for the reasons you have highlighted, i guess itll be a few years before we go full self serve and even then they will need at least one normal till for those that cannot use them.

Latest posts

Back