Zombie knife ban

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a zombie knife?
Zombie-style knives and machetes are defined as weapons with blades that are more than eight inches (20cm) long, usually with a serrated cutting edge.

Zombie knives, inspired by weapons from zombie movies or TV shows, also have one or more of the following: a serrated cutting edge more than two inches (5cm) long; more than one hole in the blade; spikes or more than two sharp points in the blade.

View attachment 104218
Thanks chippy. That’s just given me the proper shivers and made me more thankful for my recent life choices!

You not think this is just being done for optics, "look see we've done something" knowing it's going to make next to no difference at all, "but at least we tried" etc etc
Getting these sorts of knives out of circulation and more difficult to buy can only be a good thing. The design of the blades maximise the internal injuries meaning the victim is more likely to die than if stabbed with a plain bladed knife.

Getting these sorts of knives out of circulation and more difficult to buy can only be a good thing. The design of the blades maximise the internal injuries meaning the victim is more likely to die than if stabbed with a plain bladed knife.
Why are they banning the knives though? Is it because there's been an increase in stabbings with these knives? or are the police just seeing these as the current knives that are getting carried? or is it that some politician has just taken a dislike to scary looking knives?....point is if your the type to carry a knife you'll carry a knife, it's already against the law to carry a knife of more than 3" in public without good reason and a limitation on the style of knife under 3" not a fixed blade, flick knife etc

Why are they banning the knives though? Is it because there's been an increase in stabbings with these knives?
Because they can put the word zombie in front of it which sounds great on the news channels and they can make it sound like these are the preferred weapon of those most likely to carry a knife and banning them will stop most stabbings

I'm surprised a new law is needed and the current laws already in place suite of laws don't cater for this like they have before.

I was at school during the '80's when Rambo came out and there was an obsession with Rambo knives as they were called then...differnt name, same thing. And there was no hesitation with authorities and police to clamp down hard on anyone with these knives and the whole thing was dealt with pretty quickly and knives taken off the street either via raids, stop and search or amnesties and the rising trend in knife crime stats and deaths of kids on the street was halted practically overnight.

Cleary these days its easier to get hold of them but there are laws covering that too. It was clear to us back in the '80's that unless it was a kitchen knife, which was also illegal for kids to be in possession of outside of the kitchen so no loophole there, then if it was over about 4 inches and certainly if it had serrations, it was illegal. Didn't matter if it was called a zombie knife, Rambo knife, hunting knife, sports knife, fishing knife etc. Same thing back in the 70's with people seemingly obsessed with flick knives which are also illegal with people modifying metal combs to use as a weapon so when the police stopped and searched them they appeared to be clean. Curious that if you just market a knife with a different name the police are apparently powerless to act and it requires a special law to address 🤔

I smell a rat and suspect the authorities, politicians and police chiefs are not willing to tackle the root cause of the current knife problem. After all it's not the first time we've faced this very challenge and have successfully tackled it directly with no need for new laws. there is nothing remotely new or unique about the current problem that we've not tackled before other than the response to it. Instead they are choosing to employ diversion tactics with politicians and police chiefs ignoring their duties to protect their own careers and kicking the issue down the road for someone else to deal with.

Mentioned this thread to SWMBO and she made the comment along the lines of, police can't stop and search the way they use to because of all the back lash over racial profiling etc etc and may only be able to stop n search if someone reports they've seem a zombie knife?

Sounds about right, the police holding off doing thier job for fear of offending someone.

Latest posts

Back