WW2 Rations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here a gill bottle which was 1/4 of a pint.
1729261053222.png

I've a vague recollection of it changing from little glass bottles to clear plastic cartons when i was at primary school in the early 80's.

Thatcher was Education Secretary In 1971 when free milk for children was abolished she was then known as -

1729261199532.png

Last edited:
Except it wasn't, only for children over 7 from families not getting income support. Harold Wilson's Labour government had already stopped free milk for secondary school pupils in 1968.
And Shirley Williams stopped it from infants...not sure under which party. Thatcher just stopped it for the last remaining age group of kids.

I would like to see a graph of ABV not 100%. But look a the volume increase from 1947 to now it’s doubled. Double and beer ABV has risen from say bitter at 3.6% to IPA at 6.0%. No one from working class towns drank wine but now who doesn’t.
But not everyone drinks 6% IPA's in fact very few people do. In almost every pub I know the best selling beer is by far whatever bland, generic cheap lager swill they have on like Carling or whatever, which are in the low 4%.

I suspect any rise in the amount of actual alcohol consumption is down to women supping Prosecco and yoof's swilling Red Bull vodka shots. They can down three or four of those on a night out in the same time it takes to sup a pint of cheap lager.

Just easy for our thick lazy, self serving politicians to target alcohol and demonise it is because it's easy to tax. The notion they actually care about the health of the nation is laughable.

Latest posts

Back