WW2 Rations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the end of the century it was reckoned that the British people were the heaviest they had ever been.

Where did it all go so wrong..
Not too hard to work out. In the six decades from the war years the economy changed from an industrial/agrarian one to a service based one.

We had to walk/bike to school in the 70s.
And your mum would kick you out to play until lunch/teatime.

No (much less) TV. No computer games. No car ride the 1/2 mile to school.
Less long distance commuting sat in a car for hours each way.

Food was more expensive (My mum used to tell me money went 1/3 food, 1/3 bills & 1/3 housing)
And while we are on old wives tales, she also still thinks the main meal should be lunch & tea should be early as it's not good to go to bed with a full stomach. Pouring scorn on those who done eat dinner until 8pm as they have to return home from work & then cook.

We all know the differences.

The problem is junk food like Burgers, Fried Chicken, highly processed food, sugary drinks, sweets and ready meals. Plus portions are now massive compared to the 50’s. And of course alcohol and lack of exercise. British food in the 50’s was so bland and awful that it’s no wonder people gravitated to the above foods. Who wouldn’t want Curry or Spaghetti rather than liver and onions or tripe.

And of course alcohol
We'll have none of that here.

Actually, alcohol, particularly beer, consumption is lower than +100 years ago.
Per-capita-litres-per-head-per-year-consumption-of-pure-alcohol-in-the-UK-population_Q320.jpg

trendsinalcohol.png

Evidently, they didn't have tesco deliveries during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

Last edited:
I would like to see a graph of ABV not 100%. But look a the volume increase from 1947 to now it’s doubled. Double and beer ABV has risen from say bitter at 3.6% to IPA at 6.0%. No one from working class towns drank wine but now who doesn’t.

I don't drink wine.
Yeah,Chippy_Tea...dinner is at dinner time and ya mam called ya in for your tea about 5 o'clock.
Lunch(midday)and dinner(evening)was something people in a jacket and bow tie had in those Mrs Marple films..
Unless it's a Sunday dinner or a Christmas dinner which you have in the middle of the day and is of the meat and veg. type. Any other time dinner is either specified as a "roast dinner" so you know what you're getting otherwise your dinner can range from butties to beans on toast.

I would like to see a graph of ABV not 100%. But look a the volume increase from 1947 to now it’s doubled. Double and beer ABV has risen from say bitter at 3.6% to IPA at 6.0%. No one from working class towns drank wine but now who doesn’t.

Which means people aren't drinking as much now, smaller amounts of stronger drinks, and still not consuming as much alcohol. Abv of beer, was generally much higher 100+ years ago than it is today.

Which means people aren't drinking as much now, smaller amounts of stronger drinks, and still not consuming as much alcohol. Abv of beer, was generally much higher 100+ years ago than it is today.
Yeah, the average OG of beer in the 1900s was 1055 which dropped to 1034 by 1950. Probably brought on by rationing during the war when beer was in short supply.

I don't drink wine.
Yeah,Chippy_Tea...dinner is at dinner time and ya mam called ya in for your tea about 5 o'clock.
Lunch(midday)and dinner(evening)was something people in a jacket and bow tie had in those Mrs Marple films..
Unless it's a Sunday dinner or a Christmas dinner which you have in the middle of the day and is of the meat and veg. type. Any other time dinner is either specified as a "roast dinner" so you know what you're getting otherwise your dinner can range from butties to beans on toast.
Did you get the little bottle of milk at school every day 😎

Latest posts

Back