Wilko pressure keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purital

Reaction score
Hi again!

Just wondering if anybody has tried these kegs? Mine has a small hole in the lid sealed with a plastic type substance, which doesn't seem to hold much pressure. I'm brewing ale, so massive amounts of co2 aren't necessary, but would you assume this is faulty? I'm on day 3 of fermenting, so want to sort this before I really need it.

Cheers!

I've got a wilko's keg (me and the rest of the UK) and I actually prefer it to my ballihoo one even though they're pretty similar. The small hole in the lid is probably a safety precaution so it pierces to remove pressure, in-case you do do something crazy like put champagne in it and shake it around.

I don't think you'll be needing that lid anyway, my advice would be to put the Co2 injector lid straight on the pressure keg (after sanitising and thread lubrication of course) and inject it with 8g Co2 to remove the air/brew interface. The injection lids typically have a blowout system to regulate the pressure so you'll be fine.

The wilko's kegs are what you pay for: They'll leak at the tap seal, they'll bulge a bit but it's all safe. Make sure you remove the tap and lubricate its thread before using it, I forgot the first time around.

I bought a Wilko barrel and am very happy with it.

A little word of warning, I sterilised, rinsed etc and filled it with my first brew.
Then I discovered a small leak / weep from around the tap as the pressure built up, it is small, just a bit annoying.

Next time I buy a new barrel I shall make sure the lock nut on the tap is tight.

brizleciderarmy said:
Brewing beer in those are fine. They are more robust that a standard fermenting bucket too.

That's basically what I was thinking, it does look nice and sturdy. And handles on it are a nice touch. I struggle getting a good grip on the bucket

I've been using a wilko's FV for a while. Their FV is far better than their buckets and barrels that's for sure. It's a worthy investment because at the end of its use you're going to get micron size scratches from cleaning the FV that'll ruin your brew.. the price allows you to part with it easily.

Latest posts

Back