Why is "Turbo Cider" so called?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanvine

Landlord.
Reaction score
This may be a bit "nit-picky", but having read the legion number of posts the definition is at best nebulous.
For my pennyworth:
It gets it's name because there is no prepping,crushing or pressing the apples.
I would love to hear what other members definitions are. :thumb:

Yeah, I guess I thought it was because it was so quick to make. No real idea though. Had not heard the term until I came to the forum.

When I got back into brewing a few years back some of the recipes called for the use of Young's super wine yeast or champagne yeast, I always thought the name referred to its quick fermentation....Infact even remember reading that it could be drunk within a week.

Made it once with champagne yeast, not to my liking, but if some do good for them.tramp juice was the best description I read of it

I also think it stems from the fact that it is pretty quick to do and get to a drinking stage . . . of course left longer it does improve, but if you were desperate :whistle:

I concur - I thought it was down to the difference between a 7-10 day ferment with cider/wine/champagne yeast when compared to naturally fermented cider that takes months.

I remember drinking turbo shandies at uni (only just though). These were lagers topped up with smirnoff ice, those alcoholic lemonade thingys. So I always associate turbo with being of higher alcohol content.

Latest posts

Back