Hydrogen cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not if they move as fast as Musky boy athumb..
He repackaged an existing technology, hydrogen isn’t coming to the mass car market any time soon, or if it does it’ll be a waste.
There are great applications for hydrogen; eg. blue H powering carbon capture and fuelling local public transport but they’re, ahem, 5-10 years away.

Smaller than a battery pack and less damaging to the planet
I beg to differ; how do you make, package and transport the hydrogen? This is like when the ICE people overlook the carbon footprint of extracting, refining and transporting fossil fuels and only focusing on tailpipe emissions.

Last edited:
In simple terms, almost all hydrogen currently available is grey hydrogen - basically, another refined fossil fuel that is dependant on other fossil fuels for the refining process.

5% of currently available hydrogen is blue hydrogen - a refined fossil fuel but with carbon capture factored in.

We do not have a reliable source of green hydrogen at present - hydrogen produced by the hydrolysis of water using renewable energy, and hence, not dependant on fossil fuels that have to be extracted, refined and transported.

You cannot be a credible proponent of Hydrogen fuel if you don’t understand these distinctions and can factor them into your arguments.

Last edited:
Larse - Not that small

The top one is for cars the other is for other applications as mentioned in the video i posted -

"These cartridges are not just for cars Toyota envisages them powering everything from your home to outdoor ventures"

1729337243278.png

1729336917562.png

1729338031990.png

Last edited:
In simple terms, almost all hydrogen currently available is grey hydrogen - basically, another refined fossil fuel that is dependant on other fossil fuels for the refining process.

5% of currently available hydrogen is blue hydrogen - a refined fossil fuel but with carbon capture factored in.

We do not have a reliable source of green hydrogen at present - hydrogen produced by the hydrolysis of water using renewable energy, and hence, not dependant on fossil fuels that have to be extracted, refined and transported.

You cannot be a credible proponent of Hydrogen fuel if you don’t understand these distinctions and can factor them into your arguments.
But that's not to say that you couldn't produce green/blue hydrogen if required, similar to saying that many EVs are ultimately powered by fossil fuel power stations?

many EVs are ultimately powered by fossil fuel power stations?
Not quite. Around 33% of the UK electric is still fossil fuel based, 13% nuclear and the remainder is renewable. The renewable percentage has been trending up significantly over the last decade.

Also, a lot of EV owners like me farm their own electrons. My weekly mileage means my EV runs almost entirely on ‘shop bought’ electrons, but if I did a more typical 20-30 miles per day my solar panels would produce more electricity than I use (except on brew days!).

Green hydrogen doesn’t have an economically sustainable application yet. Blue hydrogen could have, but it involves carbon capture catching up, Given that we’re past the tipping point where the worlds population of trees etc. can no longer keep up with the CO2 produced globally, improving carbon capture technology is now crucial.

Last edited:
I am all for alternative energy sources for vehicles, passenger, haulage, freight, rail, ships - but whatever we develop and use HAS to use green energy to produce. Or with the relative poor efficiency of producing and using these alternative fuels, you may as well just stick to petrol/diesel

So when we finally have an excess of renewables and being in a position to produce lots of excess during the day and store it for use overnight, and STILL have an excess - then and only then will I entertain ammonia or hydrogen as a viable (albeit horribly in efficient) alternative
We are a long way off being in that position,so until then the most efficient means of transport available is ev. End of.

Latest posts

Back