Which steriliser for bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxhound

Reaction score
I've found some equipment that will help me to sterilise and rinse bottles quicker than soaking and rinsing, but I don't know which sterilising powder or liquid to use. I don't mind buying this from the usual suppliers on the internet but don't know which one I can use. I've bought a device that sprays liquid up into the bottle for sterilising, then I've got another divice to spray clean water to rinse the bottle. Can anyone suggest a brand of powder or liquid for sterilising please? :cheers:

Five Star Star San
Videne
SteriBev
Peracetic Acid

All can be used on bottles that are already clean and do not need rinsing . . .they will only sanitise however . .to sterilise you need to pressure cook them for 20 minutes at 121C

Aleman said:
Five Star Star San
Videne
SteriBev
Peracetic Acid

All can be used on bottles that are already clean and do not need rinsing . . .they will only sanitise however . .to sterilise you need to pressure cook them for 20 minutes at 121C

Could someone explain to me the difference between sanitise ans sterilise :pray:
Elsewhere I read many only using videne on washed clean bottles prior to use; with the implication it kill all 'bugs' on contact with no rinse needed.

I ask as I fance building a system as foxhound describes. :thumb:

craigite said:
Could someone explain to me the difference between sanitise ans sterilise :pray:
Sterilise kills all bug period nothing left around that can possibly grow at all. Sanitise knocks the level of contamination down to as low a level as to be of little concern.

craigite said:
Elsewhere I read many only using videne on washed clean bottles prior to use; with the implication it kill all 'bugs' on contact with no rinse needed.
Correct, all the sanitisers I mentioned earlier are only effective on clean surfaces and are all no rinse. So asl long as the bottles are clean a simple spray and drain is all that is required to sanitise the surfaces prior to filling.

Actually Peracetic Acid is as damn as near it a chemical steriliser . . .unfortunately in it's neat form it is nasty stuff.

Aleman said:
Five Star Star San
Videne
SteriBev
Peracetic Acid

I normally use VWP powder mixed with warm water as mentioned on the tub. My bottles are always washed and dried before i use VWP. So if I mix VWP as I normally do, fill my spray device with that and then rinse with cold water I should be OK. This will speed up my bottling no end! :lol: Many thanks for the swift reply :drink:

I'm at work so can't check but I believe that you have to leave your items in contact with VWP for at least 20 mins
it's not a contact sanitizer

I've made the switch to Videne, I bought two bottles.

It's awesome, dilute to the correct solution and use, no rinse.

Epic!

I made a steamer steraliser fits onto the wallpaper steamer then bobs your uncle I'll try to find the posting
DSC00105.jpg

The shop I go to has powder 'sodium metabisulphite' strong stuff if in hot water. But that steamer idea looks cool.

I use a steamer, I haven't got a fancy gadget like yours Eddie, I just do them one at a time while in the wine rack then on to the "draining tree thingummy". Please excuse the technical jargon. :lol:

What a great idea. Think I might knock one of these up at the weekend as wine production is up to 2 doz bottles a week and sanitising is time comnsuming

cnelsonplumber said:
wine production is up to 2 doz bottles a week and sanitising is time consuming
Nonsense.

Production capacity is admirable :thumb:
Brew faster than you can drink, at least some of it might get proper maturation.

I've just bottled 15 litres of WOW, my bottles are stored clean and dried, so a quick splash of Videne solution (shake, shake, drain) and a quick rinse (shake, shake, drain) and they are ready to fill, only takes a few seconds each.

I'm sure that wine must evaporate though :wha:
I started with 15 litres but by the time I'd finished bottling there was only 14.5 :whistle: :drunk:

31bb3 said:
I made a steamer steraliser fits onto the wallpaper steamer then bobs your uncle I'll try to find the posting
DSC00105.jpg

Nice idea mate; I was just working up something similar with water sprays. I've prototyped a cross-crimp on the end of the 15mm copper pipes to give a controlled spray pattern, and decided to sit them in a honeycomb of 110mm waste pipes (un-used of course!) to give support to all bottle shapes (500ml crown cap, swing-top bottles, wine bottle and 1960s quart bottles). Nothing built yet though; still accumulating scrap materials for construction.

.......but I never thought about using steam. Have you had any problems with bottles cracking with the heat? Also, how long do you need to steam each batch?

Moley said:
............................................ so a quick splash of Videne solution (shake, shake, drain) and a quick rinse (shake, shake, drain) and they are ready to fill, only takes a few seconds each.

I havn't used videne solution but may well try it when my VWP stock runs out, think it may save me some time.

Currently drinking 8 bottles per batch and maturing 16 in an attempt to fill the wine rack I bought off Ebay for a tenner. Problem is the rack is taller than I am andf i'm no shortie!

Latest posts

Back