Which steriliser for bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know if my method would meet with the boards approval. it seems to work fine.

i make a bleach solution in a washing up bowl, a bowl used solely for this purpose. add solution to bottles using a plastic jug and funnel. top up with warm water. stand over night.

next day i make another bleach solution. drop my bottle brush in and then scrub each bottle, emptying after a good scrub.

i then half fill bottles with fresh water. they all get a good shake and are emptied.

repeat.

then i sniff a few bottles and if there is no hint of bleach i add about an inch of fresh water for one last rinse (how much is an inch in a 500ml bottle? :wha: ) give em a good shake and empty.

then i select a few bottles at random. add a drop of cold water, give it a swirl and give it a taste, being caerfull that my lips dont touch the bottle.

if the water tastes ok i go ahead and dry the bottles.

i am sitting next to 40 bottles washed in this way and i am going to fill them with lovely beer in a little while. i always do a last minuet sanity check using the sniff and taste test on a few random bottles.

i have returned a load of bottles for more rinsing once just as i was about to fill em with lovely beer. i must have rushed a bit during washing, and i probably used too much bleach. all was well in the end and i havent poisoned anyone to date.

I do something similar.

My bottles are always washed and scrubbed after they've been emptied, then the day before I come to use them again, they get the old Young's sanitiser and bottle brush treatment. Then on bottling day, they get a second sanitising followed by a couple of rinses in hot water.

I've never tasted or smelt chemicals, and (touch wood) I've never so much as had a bottle go off.

:shock:

Rinsed 3 times with hot water when emptied . . . . If I forget they get rinsed . . . .then a hot soak in Oxy Action . . . . Rinsed with very hot water . . . inverted and allowed to drain / dry . . . Cover neck with silver foil (or close the flip top) . . .store until ready to use. . . . It takes minutes to do bottles as you use them rather than save it all up and do 40 /80 at a time

On bottling day . . . clean bottle tree . . . spray with videne . . . . Rinse each bottle with videne using a bottle blast rinser and store on bottle tree . . . bottle cap . . . sorted . . . bare in mind that I store a lot of my beers in bottles for years, and have had one infection (Attributable to poor bottle cleansing) of one bottle

The capping with kitchen foil or clingfilm is a must.

Years ago I used to just stick the bottles in boxes beside the computer desk, then when bottling day came around again, it used to take ages to get the cobwebs, dead spiders, budgie feathers and muck out of them.

luckyeddie said:
The capping with kitchen foil or clingfilm is a must.

Years ago I used to just stick the bottles in boxes beside the computer desk, then when bottling day came around again, it used to take ages to get the cobwebs, dead spiders, budgie feathers and muck out of them.
Saves loads of time with the film i usually just wash em out then steralise when i need them

i always give my bottles a rinse after i empty them, but i store my empties in the shed. they all need a good clean inside and out after a few weeks of shed time because i have a touch of OCD

Beer Buddah said:
Love that battwave, ye got to love the time man spends inventing things to make BEER :cheers:

My car share commented today (after I'd supplied him with some of my brew to enjoy at the weekend) that alcohol must be one of mankind's greatest discoveries; and yes, beer must be one of the supreme forms, and worthy of our best engineering (engibeering) efforts - drink your heart out Brunel! :drink:

Latest posts

Back