What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's starting to get beyond a joke. I know someone that recently went to a swanky (although you could possibly remove the S) hotel here, in N.Ireland, and was charged £7.80 for a pint of Guinness.

Does this hotel have to pay more for a keg of Guinness? No, no they do not. They are pulling numbers out of the crack of their ar$e.
Some parts of Belfast are more expensive than Dublin

Popped into the newly-reopened local for a quick lunchtime chat with a mate.
Neither of us fancied drinking much so he had a lager shandy and I had a half a lemonade (from the 'gun').
£9.45:mad:

I pointed out that they'd charged for a pint of lager not a shandy and the response was 'it's the same price'.

View attachment 83449
Part of the problem is that you let them make a shandy with the most expensive macro lager..😯

It's starting to get beyond a joke. I know someone that recently went to a swanky (although you could possibly remove the S) hotel here, in N.Ireland, and was charged £7.80 for a pint of Guinness.

Does this hotel have to pay more for a keg of Guinness? No, no they do not. They are pulling numbers out of the crack of their ar$e.
At the other end of the spectrum, I recently ordered 5 pints of Guinness in The Bridge Bar in Glenarm. The guy said he’d bring them over, and then asked me for £17.50.
I went back to the table and told the lads I wasn’t sure we were going to get 5 pints, but we did. And they were excellent.

Italian Pils to start the weekend.. haven't used this Asahi glass for a while..it's got a nice weight to it😋
IMG_20230324_172959.jpg

Had saved a couple of bottles of Irish Red for some visiting mates but for circumstances that didn't happen so cracking one open myself.

View attachment 83454

Have received bits for V2 today, which hopefully will brew next week.
I’m brewing one in the next week or two, do you want to swap recipes?

Not a good start! This is from a 330 sample bottle of my attempt at Wye Valley HPA using recipe on here. It's a month in the bottle but only clear in the neck hence this cloudiness. Tastes ok but I know from experience that wheat malt in suspension and my tum do not get on so all I can do is park it for a few months...
20230324_181037.jpg

Sure. Will send you v1 as at least that's tested. Will see if I can get a pdf off Beersmith or Grainfather.

Here you go. This one got an honourable mention at LAB last year and scored 39 points. The main thing the judges would like to have seen was more roast character. I was going to try cold steeping the roasted barley and upping the quantity on this brew, otherwise it'll be pretty much the same.

Attachments

• LAB Irish Red.pdf
    865 KB
I don't doubt it. £6 a pint is not uncommon. And for really bog standard beer too.
Another crazy thing is most soft drinks are $5 over here and almost always $8 a pint.

It's hard to stomach anything but the occasional pint anymore. And yes, they are typically only just ok.

At the other end of the spectrum, I recently ordered 5 pints of Guinness in The Bridge Bar in Glenarm. The guy said he’d bring them over, and then asked me for £17.50.
I went back to the table and told the lads I wasn’t sure we were going to get 5 pints, but we did. And they were excellent.
The difference between some pubs is shocking.

I’ve pulled the rye IPA keg out of the fridge, it’s had 4 weeks to take a long hard look at itself and think about what it did.
It’s conditioned beautifully and it’s a big rich malty hug in a pint glass. The downside is the aroma from the big dry hop has been lost. It’s a lovely beer and I would brew it again but not until I’ve done a couple of more conventional rye IPA’s.

857A4B88-A157-46B6-ADFE-8389DDE1C621.jpeg
1AD0A8FF-91DA-4F10-BD23-67EEBBF55AA3.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back