What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting recipe, just fuggles for the hops. I think I used Windsor yeast when I made mine which doesn't attenuate or flocculate as much.
I adore Fuggles as a hop and they tend to be my go to for Bitters and Mild (not to say I wont use other hops).

Yeast wise I mostly use Nottingham but didn’t have any on hand so just used a packet of S-04. London III also works well in a Mild but most of the time I’m not willing to pay the premium for a liquid yeast. As for Windsor I’ve never being brave enough to use it, I know it’s meant to be good good flavour wise but I tend not to be the best at temperature control for my mash and fear I might end up with an under attenuated beer if I used Windsor.

A new one for me a Hazelnut Stout, I quite like this as it’s not too sweet with a nice coffee flavour, couldn’t drink more than one though, and a cranberry beer shandy for the better half.

IMG_3494.jpeg

I adore Fuggles as a hop and they tend to be my go to for Bitters and Mild (not to say I wont use other hops).

Yeast wise I mostly use Nottingham but didn’t have any on hand so just used a packet of S-04. London III also works well in a Mild but most of the time I’m not willing to pay the premium for a liquid yeast. As for Windsor I’ve never being brave enough to use it, I know it’s meant to be good good flavour wise but I tend not to be the best at temperature control for my mash and fear I might end up with an under attenuated beer if I used Windsor.
Yes, Notty tends to be my go to yeast too. Windsor doesn't give under attenuated beer, just beer that finishes at a high gravity (if it under attenuated you'd have your original wort at the end of fermentation :laugh8: ). I should check my records but I think it stopped at 1.020 when I used it and the beer was about 3.4%.

Edit. Forgot to say I've got a soft spot for fuggles too, really nice in a Saison.

I'm just trying Tribute #10. It's well deserved as Mrs Clint cast one of her hexes over me and that found me painting the interior of her Emporium.
It's an arduous task and something I could have done without but it can only be done when she's on holiday. Hopefully it will be finished tomorrow.
Chin chin!

I picked up Brew Dogs 12 beers of Xmas and had the first today - peach hazy Jane. It was good, probably exactly as you would imagine it tasting, good balance but I’m not sure that’s what I want from beer.

We were in Devizes today and dropped into Wadworths. It felt a bit like they aren’t really trying- they make 6 beers but only have 3 on display in the shop. Bottles cost more than you would expect to pay in the supermarket, nothing special on sale, no small batches, no flair?

A bright and fizzy cider from a vicious place, not my thing really i like it a bit more murky and less excitable

Attachments

• 20231228_172718.jpg
    20231228_172718.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0
Another interesting beer from Otterbank a 10.2% stout conditioned on beetroot the recipe designed by brewers in Ukraine. Very complex and the beetroot adds a nice depth to it. Bottled in April 22 and it’s well matured in the bottle from when I first tasted it. This one’s not soured. View attachment 94023View attachment 94024
Interesting beer, I can't stand beetroot

Interesting beer, I can't stand beetroot
Most people have only tasted the sliced pickled stuff that comes in jars and turns your salad purple. This is the fresh stuff that is sweet and a mile away from the jar.
It’s barely detectable but gives a nice dark sweetness to the beer.

Most people have only tasted the sliced pickled stuff that comes in jars and turns your salad purple. This is the fresh stuff that is sweet and a mile away from the jar.
It’s barely detectable but gives a nice dark sweetness to the beer.
Boys land into work with it in sandwiches 😩

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back