What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has the cask bitter given you the inspiration to try different styles in the king kegs again. Maybe a porter or golden ale
Yes it has, I’m planning to brew a cask batch of my pirate pale next. 😋

I still have to move the King keg into the brew shed and hook it up to the taps but I need to refit the brew shed with my new chiller first. I’ll not wait before I brew the beer though.

Yes it has, I’m planning to brew a cask batch of my pirate pale next. 😋

I still have to move the King keg into the brew shed and hook it up to the taps but I need to refit the brew shed with my new chiller first. I’ll not wait before I brew the beer though.
I am not a regular cask drinker, it's not something you see in Ireland. I really enjoy trying it when I visit Liverpool, the ship and mitre have some nice beers on hand pull. The big difference for me is mouth feel, it's soft and easy drinking. The part that takes a bit getting used to is temperature. Great in the winter maybe not so great on a hot summer's day.

I am not a regular cask drinker, it's not something you see in Ireland. I really enjoy trying it when I visit Liverpool, the ship and mitre have some nice beers on hand pull. The big difference for me is mouth feel, it's soft and easy drinking. The part that takes a bit getting used to is temperature. Great in the winter maybe not so great on a hot summer's day.
You can cool it but you’re right, it can’t be chilled without losing much of the character of the beer.

Sticking with another porter
IMG_20240804_200445455.jpg

Bought a beer kit from Wilko (aka The Range). £16.43 (kit and sugar) for "20 litres of Lager", plus I got cash back on TopCashBack. Sounds too good to be true, so I tried it. The 20 litres was a bit much for a keg, so I shorted the water slightly for 19 litres since I didn't want to bother with bottling. The ABV came up short, but no worries as kits do this.
Easy kit, but I gave the fermentation time. Kegged it, carbonated it, and now tried it. Here's the verdict:
View attachment 102405

View attachment 102404

Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Easy to make
  • Good for a beginning brewer
  • Tremendous potential for an environmentally friendly way of killing slugs in the garden

Cons:
  • Taste
  • Not really a Lager
  • Waste of time

3 August 2024 Edit: I filled two slug traps with this beer and left it in the garden overnight and nothing. I've caught plenty of slugs before with Corona, but even the slugs won't drink the MYO Lager ashock1
That's a shame, considering the bargain price. I brewed this using different yeast and hops from what is supplied in the box - see my post in the 'what are you brewing' thread. Mines turned out great, so it's maybe the kit yeast and hops that let it down, or the brewing equipment (I pressure fermented this one).

Back