What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my favourite ipa that subtle hint of malt in the back ground dose it for me
IMG_2085.jpeg

I know I’m supposed to make snide comments about the evils of Greene King, but honestly I actually quite like their beer when it’s served on cask from a pub that knows what it’s doing. Though despite the glass it’s Abbot Ale not the Greene King IPA.

View attachment 100594

I thought that was cask when I looked at the head. One of the local pubs is Greene King and they do a really nice pint of Abbot. I wish it was on more regularly.

I thought that was cask when I looked at the head. One of the local pubs is Greene King and they do a really nice pint of Abbot. I wish it was on more regularly.
Luckily for me the pub in question is just opposite the station in my home town has Abbot as one of their standard beers so I tend to pop in now and then on my way back from work (I’ve tried Abbot out of a bottle and can and it’s just not the same). Honestly makes me wonder if something like John Smiths or Tetley’s would be worth trying on cask (sure I remember it’s meant to be still sold on cask in some places).

Lovely bottle conditioned strong ale from St.Austell brewery - Maris Otter, Crystal malts, Fuggles and Goldings.
Last day of holiday, its chucked it down today but can't complain as otherwise we've been lucky with a fortnight of bright sunny weather.
View attachment 100646
Quick. Salvage the yeast!

Is 5%abv a strong ale nowadays?

Quick. Salvage the yeast!

Is 5%abv a strong ale nowadays?

Too late, all drunk now !
Not yet tried salvaging yeast from a bottle, something to try next on my home brew journey.

Most beers seem to be getting weaker if anything nowadays, down to tax I think.
Had a can of Red Stripe the other day and appalled to see its been reduced to 4.7% - bring back Crucial Brew !

Too late, all drunk now !
Not yet tried salvaging yeast from a bottle, something to try next on my home brew journey.

Most beers seem to be getting weaker if anything nowadays, down to tax I think.
Had a can of Red Stripe the other day and appalled to see its been reduced to 4.7% - bring back Crucial Brew !
I find the opposite problem lots of lovely 6-7% IPA’s but very few good sub 3.5% Milds or Bitters which surprises me as with the way alcohol duty on beer is now structured you would think there would be a lot more sub 3.4% beers, also who exactly is brewing 22% beers as surprised they feel the need for a separate duty catagory.
Alcohol by volume (ABV)Amount of duty in £ (pounds) for each
litre of pure alcohol in the product
0 to 1.2%0.00
1.3% to 3.4%9.27
3.5% to 8.4%21.01
8.5% to 22%28.50
Stronger than 22%31.64

Lovely bottle conditioned strong ale from St.Austell brewery - Maris Otter, Crystal malts, Fuggles and Goldings.
Last day of holiday, its chucked it down today but can't complain as otherwise we've been lucky with a fortnight of bright sunny weather.
View attachment 100646

One of my favourites that, hadn't realised it had dropped to 5% though!

Back