Using citric acid to condition stainless steel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmite

Reaction score
One of my brewing mates reckons he has read somewhere about using citric acid to condition stainless steel. Has anyone else heard of this?

Stainless steel will self passivate if exposed to air. It can be speeded up using an acid solution, For cleaning up welds then something like pickling paste is used (contains Nitric Acid), for general 'passivation' then any strong mineral acid can be used (sulphuric, hydrochloric, nitric, phosphoric). Weak organic acids while will work, it is not really any faster than leaving it exposed to air.

CRoark said:
Stainless will pit if exposed to an alkaline solution
Actually not true, or not relevant, Murphys sell a wide range of caustic cleaners especially for stainless steel.

CRoark said:
do not use bleach on Stainless
Again, not strictly a problem, chlorine corrosion is not an issue with the contact times and concentrations that are used in home brewing. if you are talking about permanent immersion in a chlorine solution (ie a swimming pool) then special steels tend to be used and even then corrosion will occur over quite a long timescale Murphys actually sell a chlorinated caustic product designed to be used on stainless steel.

As an experiment, I used a strong solution of Antiformin-S to clean out a corny, and I left it in there for a month with no sign of pitting even at the air/liquid interface.

Chloride corrosion of stainless steel is a real issue, especially at the gas/liquid interface where the concentration of chloride salts can be exceptionally high, and it is for this reason that thick bleaches (Where common salt is used as a thickener) should be avoided at high concentrations. Thin bleaches which don't have high chloride levels are perfectly safe to use.

Latest posts

Back