Too much pressure in barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
I brewed a Ritchie's Father Hook a couple of weeks ago. I was a bit concerned as to whether primary fermentation had finished as there was still more airlock activity than I've been used to in previous brews. However, primary had been going on for 3 weeks and SG was stable at 1012 (expected from the kit was 1009). Transfered into pressure vessel with 100g priming sugar. I ended up with about 1/4 of the volume of the pressure barrel empty due to a syphoning accident. The barrel has a S30 valve so I gassed and purged a couple of times to reduce oxygen levels.

Yesterday (at 2 weeks conditioning) the barrel is hissing. It does have a safety valve, so I assume that the pressure has got too high. I drew off a pint or two, which came out at great speed and was still cloudy (although tasting acceptable), but still the hissing continued. I cracked the lid a bit to vent some of the pressure.

This morning the hissing had resumed.

Is fermentation still occuring I wonder?

Just wondering what I should do - leave it to hiss, assuming that the valve will reseal at some point? Keep releasing the pressure every now and again? I'm not too worried about pressure getting too low to dispense as I can always gas it up again.

I haven't had this happen with any of my other brews, not that I've done that many.

Any idea where it's leaking from... the cap or the pressure release valve? I doubt it's the latter as they tend to let go all at once rather than leak. On that point, there's no need to vent the pressure yourself as the value will do that for you if the pressure gets too high.

I think you need to find and fix your leak and you'll be sorted.

jonnymorris said:
Any idea where it's leaking from... the cap or the pressure release valve? I doubt it's the latter as they tend to let go all at once rather than leak. On that point, there's no need to vent the pressure yourself as the value will do that for you if the pressure gets too high.

I think you need to find and fix your leak and you'll be sorted.

I don't know where it's actually coming from. The cap is tightly on, and I had tested it previously by gassing the barrel. As I mentioned, I released the pressure last night and that stopped the hissing. This morning it had started again, so it seems like with time pressure is increasing in the barrel. I suppose I should just leave it alone. If the pressure release valve goes, you say 'they tend to let go all at once rather than leak'. Does that mean I'd loose the majority of pressure, or should they reseal when it drops to a tolerable level?

the s30 has a built in safety valve.

Its the rubber ring near the base, its releasing the over pressured barrel, it should settle down but:

It sounds like you didnt leave it long enough to ferment. I wait at least 14 days with a heater band around the bin to ensure the brew is warm

Then transfer to a barrel with 100gms of sugar, put the heater band on the barrel for two days then leave at least 4 weeks, 6 weeks is better to condition in a cool place

keeping a constant temperature is essential for fermenting otherwise if it gets cold it stops. Then if it warms up again fermenting starts up again.

I'm drinking nelsons thats like 6X only better :drink:

The pressure is meant to build up in the barrel as a result of adding the sugar. It doesn't necessarily mean primary fermentation hadn't finished. You checked the SG so you should be OK on that score.

The pressure release valve will let the excess pressure out and essentially re-seal itself. As mentioned above, it's simply a rubber band around the valve.

Did you use vaseline on the o-ring?

Russ146 said:
the s30 has a built in safety valve.

Its the rubber ring near the base, its releasing the over pressured barrel, it should settle down but:

It sounds like you didnt leave it long enough to ferment. I wait at least 14 days with a heater band around the bin to ensure the brew is warm

The primary was three weeks and at a constant 22C (water jacket with aquarium heater)

Russ146 said:
Then transfer to a barrel with 100gms of sugar, put the heater band on the barrel for two days then leave at least 4 weeks, 6 weeks is better to condition in a cool place

Best I could do for the secondary was shifting it upstairs where it's warmer. It's now downstairs in the kitchen, the coolest place in the house most of the time for its conditioning.

I'm pretty sure it is coming from the rubber ring on the valve so it must be over pressure. I have a suspicion that there might be a temperature effect - I have a feeling the hissing stopped when the room got warmer. Might have been my imagination though.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll calm down eventually!

S30 valves can fail :(

All my pressure kegs are second hand and of unknown age and history (it's not like you get an MOT or service book with them ;) ). I've had to swap out 2 S30 valves of the 6 I've got.

I did try to replace the seals on the first one to fail, but at around £5 for seals and £10 for a valve, after I failed to recon the valve with the second set of seals I decided to buy new valves in future :)

You may have kegged it too soon, or you may have a leaky valve.

Latest posts

Back