Titanic Plum Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Insert Witty Comment Here
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a lot of this in a bottle but was lucky enough to stumble across this on cask yesterday , it was brilliant.

So, I’m armed with a garden full of plums and a bottle of essence, just need some experience with the recipe.

Has anyone brewed this? Does it actually have plums in it as it tasted just like my bottle of essence smells like with is disconcerting.

I have had a lot of this in a bottle but was lucky enough to stumble across this on cask yesterday , it was brilliant.

So, I’m armed with a garden full of plums and a bottle of essence, just need some experience with the recipe.

Has anyone brewed this? Does it actually have plums in it as it tasted just like my bottle of essence smells like with is disconcerting.
No, it doesn't have plums, if it did you would be making a sour beer.

Found this on the BeerSmith Forum. No plums, but plum essence?

I just got back from the Stone Food & Drink festival and tasted the Titanic Plum Porter. Its an excellent pint as I'm sure many of you will know. I had a chat to the brewer and he described his recipe to me. The quantities are 975Kg Maris Otter Pale Malt, 125Kg Wheat & 100 Kg roasted (black) barley. Assuming I'm making 23L I calculate I will need 4.06Kg MO pale Malt, 520g Wheat (for head retention he said) and 420g roasted black barley. The Bramling Hops seem to be the right choice but I may need to use another type hop to balance the bitterness with the malt. Questions?
1. Do these quantities seem right to achieve 1060 OG?
2. Do I need any other malts and if so why?
3. Admiral or Northern hops to supplement the Bramlings?
4. Titanic use Plum essence food additive (how much will I need to add to 23L)? When should I add this flavour?
5. Mash time/temp 60 min? 90 min? & 66 deg C?
6. Boil time 60 min or 90 min?
7. What yeast shall I use?
8. Any other advice?

Latest posts

Back