Thunder & lightning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yep. Brewed outdoors in thunder and lightning today. Have cover, but it was at its limits.

Anyway, my boil off rate was way off. It was clear I was way out, so ended up extending boil before flavour hop addition. It all went a bit mad with the rain and all so I question my calculations a little, but I was expecting 26% total boil off @ 75 min. (from previous experience) and ended with 19% (post-calculation). I'm at AG#6, so still tinkering. Could humidity influence boil off rate to such an extent?

One strong positive this time... last brew the Buffalo kept topping out so I moved the temp sensor; cable tied it to wires away from the pot. Worked a treat. With a rolling boil I reduced the temp setting (0min-6max) and it was tripping at about 3.5. No chance at all of it topping out. I must say it's really a great boiler, but you do need to know how to prep it for rolling boil.

Slightly off topic but straight back into it,

I work with polyurethane resins a lot, and moisture in the air turns the stuff to foam. Or at least it bubbles like crazy when curing.

So with recent weather I would expect a change in boil off :-)

Thanks. I'm going to have to keep a close eye on this. Such a variation could leave me with way too little or too much in the fermenter. I was just lucky this time that my hop addition was late, so I could delay.

I didn't realise the swing could be so big. If I can get a handle on weather conditions vs. boil off rate, I should be able to hit targets better.

Yep. Brewed outdoors in thunder and lightning today. Have cover, but it was at its limits.

I was expecting 26% total boil off @ 75 min. (from previous experience) and ended with 19% (post-calculation). I'm at AG#6, so still tinkering. Could humidity influence boil off rate to such an extent?
I would definitely say "YES" on that one. There may be other factors than just evaporation, such as what the humidity does to your heat source, but a steep reduction in boil evaporation in a thunderstorm does not sound like an unusual observation. At least to me.

I had the same when moving from the Kitchen to the shed or just outside the shed on a decent day.. Waaaay less boil off. I was at 10L per hour in the kitchen and on Sunday in the shed, it was down to 6L which cocked my calculations up too!

Rich

Yeah.. Pretty much. I couldn't believe it when I first started. Assumed it would be something like 4 or 5L.
That said, when it was in the kitchen, it was a particularly fierce rolling boil with 2 x 2.4kw elements (not from the same circuit!) and a massive cooker hood extractor over it.

Yeah.. Pretty much. I couldn't believe it when I first started. Assumed it would be something like 4 or 5L.
That said, when it was in the kitchen, it was a particularly fierce rolling boil with 2 x 2.4kw elements (not from the same circuit!) and a massive cooker hood extractor over it.

2x 2.4KW elements.

I am reminded of a scene from the film "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".
The titular heroes have held up a train and Cassidy's attempt at dynamiting the Safe results in dollar bills dropping out of the sky like snowflakes.

"You use enough dynamite, there, Butch?"

Back