Thirst Gold Sat 25/10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be tempted to dilute with treated water if you have the FV space?

I'll be splitting the batch into 3 so, may do that with one of the FV's to see the difference :thumb:

Wez said:
Just started to heat the wort up for the boil.

I have 77L @1.044 in the boiler, sounds like i'll be over on the gravity :hmm:

Edit : Forgot to mention that I stopped sparging at 1.020 with 50L collected, added 27L of cooled boiled water. this SG seems very high so I just checked the notes from when we weighed out last night, and they are spot on :hmm:

why did you bother boiling the top up water when it was gunna be boiled anyway :wha:

glad to see you got a lower loss this time though mate :thumb:

your brewday seems to have gotten shorter too :clap:

why did you bother boiling the top up water when it was gunna be boiled anyway

Well, It was left over sparge water, rather than boiled (well it got up to 87c) :lol:

glad to see you got a lower loss this time though mate

I think we must have lost count of what we put into the boiler last Sunday :oops:

your brewday seems to have gotten shorter too

I think it'll be about the same, 8 hours, I hope to be done by 2pm, started at 6am.

:thumb:

You at it again W -- are you trying to wear that new shiny out :) :?: I sounds as if it's all going well.

A total of 56L at 1.050

I'll post more about this later..

But basically I ended up after dilution with 69L at 1.041

Okay this is how I ended up:

When I transfered from the boiler the idea I had was to transfer 10L at a time into 3x FV's (A,B & C) the idea there was that if the wort at the bottom has a higher gravity by any chance i'd stand a better chance of more even distribution, maybe the more knowledaable amongst us can put me right on that as there may be no point doing it ;)

Anyway I transferred 10L each into A, B & C, then an additional 10L into A & B but all I had left in the boiler for C was 6L so 20 + 20 + 16 = 56L in total, the SG in each FV was 1.050 so according to Beersmith thats a 78.7% efficiency.

I then added 3L water each to A & B to get them up to 23L (these are now both 23L at 1.044) and added 7L water to C which is now 23L at 1.039

So the net result of today is 69L of beer..

46L @ 1.044
23L @ 1.039

I'm happy with that, pics to be uploaded in a bit :D

I'm scratching my head about losses, maybe you can shed some light on it :thumb:

Pre Boil - 77L
Post Boil (but pre cooling) - 68L (9L lost over 1.5hrs)
Post Cooling - unknown
Into FV's 56L (12L lost)

I know my boiler has 3L deadspace and assume 2L to hops, so ... where did the other 7L go? :shock: :?

You'd get some evaporation during cooling but not to the degree of 7l :hmm:

where did the other 7L go?

Cooling, according to Beersmith, will account for another 4% of the volume. Assuming 68ltr of liquid (for arguments sake), that's another 2.72ltr accounted for leaving 4.28ltrs missing. I reckon that's quite good as your error factor is trippled by filling 3 fv's. Unless they are level, or on the same ground as when calibrated, a litre or more is really easy to lose, to each fv.

Now....the embarrassing questions...but I have to ask :roll:
Your fv's are properly calibrated....aren't they?
Your method of measuring the wort volume is accurate...isn't it?

Very slow start to fermentation at the Fledgling Brewery :?

All 3 FV's sat at 19c constant, i've never seen s04 to slow :hmm:

If there is no significant action in the next 5 hours, the paddle is being sanitised and I'm going in to rouse the yeast.

Going like the clappers tonight! :thumb:

Here's the pics I promised..

Mash & First Wort Hops (First Gold) Weighed Out
25102008860.jpg
25102008861.jpg

FWH Sat in the Boiler Ready & 1st Mash Runnings About to be recirculated
25102008862.jpg
25102008863.jpg

1st Runnings into a collection vessel (to be transferred to boiler) & Sparging
25102008864.jpg
25102008865.jpg

Boiler Action
25102008866.jpg
25102008867.jpg

Not a Bad Days Work
25102008868.jpg
25102008869.jpg

Rewarded with a Bog Frog
26102008870.jpg

great stuff mate! cant wait till i can brew those volumes!

how close to the rim was the boil and how many litres did you get?

BS you see the FV at the back left? Thats SWB, I'm bottling that and you can have half :thumb:

That was 77L in the boiler as you see it there, I ended up getting 56L into FV's but added water to let it down to a total of 69L across the 3 FV's 23L in each. :D (2 at 1.044 and 1 at 1.039)

Back