The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2701.jpeg

Not quite Pizza but flatbreads, made using a basic pizza dough (flour, water, salt and dry yeast) with a quick ferment, Hand stretched and baked in the pizza oven before being topped with olive oil, back into the oven for another 30 seconds and served with hummus and salad, made for a really tasty quick lunch.

View attachment 100962
Not quite Pizza but flatbreads, made using a basic pizza dough (flour, water, salt and dry yeast) with a quick ferment, Hand stretched and baked in the pizza oven before being topped with olive oil, back into the oven for another 30 seconds and served with hummus and salad, made for a really tasty quick lunch.
Your idea of "make dough, quick ferment, heat oven" as a 'quick lunch' is different to mine! Mine is normally "get bread from drawer, slap sandwich fillings in, put into face"

Well, I did my hybrid "pizza, ciabatas in cooling oven, panini next day" plan, the doughs were created altogether using the Panasonic bread maker "Ciabata" program (usual pizza dough recipe, making 4x quantity for two Ciabatas). And ... it probably needs a bit of work:
1718974531118.jpeg

Pizza okay-ish, much the same. Bit deflated but Poolish was left for 4 days not 12-24 hours (busy!). 4 day old Poolish should have improved it?

1718974717625.jpeg

Ciabatas grew to the size of zepplins! They are over 200mm long. The Panini made from them next day were each filled with the same as for a topping for pizza plus some Nudja to spice it up and loads (fistfull) of basil. Plenty of olive oil and some pitted green olives.

Result (no photos) were okay, but I thought were a bit lame flavourwise: Compared to the flavour a Pizza gets from the same ingredients. I knew Mozzerella in a "Panini" was going to be a mistake! Even Homemade Mozzerella made from Jersey milk.

I'll work on me Panini. Meanwhile a better way of using a cooling 400+°C Pizza oven is still requied.

Oh aye. @Agentgonzo, I have noticed your earlier picture of a rolling-pin flatterned Pizza base. I reckon you did that to wind me up. It works! I've booked you in for a session between my wall-pegs, for just as soon as @Twostage is finished with them (or they've finished with him.

Your idea of "make dough, quick ferment, heat oven" as a 'quick lunch' is different to mine! Mine is normally "get bread from drawer, slap sandwich fillings in, put into face"
To be fair the actual ‘work’ is fairly minimal I have a dough hook so it’s weigh the ingredients leave to mix then leave the dough for an hour split into balls of dough leave another hour and stretch out the dough at this point the total time spent by me is maybe 15 minutes tops. I have an Ooni pizza oven which takes about five minutes to get out the garage, add wood and light. I need to toss in some more wood every five minutes or so till it’s up to temperature then about three minutes for each flatbread so about 25 minutes of actual effort on my part which okay when I add it up isn’t insignificant but taste wise fresh hot fresh flatbread is worth it.

Well, I did my hybrid "pizza, ciabatas in cooling oven, panini next day" plan, the doughs were created altogether using the Panasonic bread maker "Ciabata" program (usual pizza dough recipe, making 4x quantity for two Ciabatas). And ... it probably needs a bit of work:
View attachment 100963

Pizza okay-ish, much the same. Bit deflated but Poolish was left for 4 days not 12-24 hours (busy!). 4 day old Poolish should have improved it?

View attachment 100964

Ciabatas grew to the size of zepplins! They are over 200mm long. The Panini made from them next day were each filled with the same as for a topping for pizza plus some Nudja to spice it up and loads (fistfull) of basil. Plenty of olive oil and some pitted green olives.

Result (no photos) were okay, but I thought were a bit lame flavourwise: Compared to the flavour a Pizza gets from the same ingredients. I knew Mozzerella in a "Panini" was going to be a mistake! Even Homemade Mozzerella made from Jersey milk.

I'll work on me Panini. Meanwhile a better way of using a cooling 400+°C Pizza oven is still requied.

Oh aye. @Agentgonzo, I have noticed your earlier picture of a rolling-pin flatterned Pizza base. I reckon you did that to wind me up. It works! I've booked you in for a session between my wall-pegs, for just as soon as @Twostage is finished with them (or they've finished with him.

Nice looking ciabatta.

Erm…

IMG_7062.jpeg

New pizza oven owner hear, what the difference between the red and blue flour? Seems to be mixed info online regarding protein levels and burning.

Attachments

• IMG_9763.jpeg
    IMG_9763.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
New pizza oven owner hear, what the difference between the red and blue flour? Seems to be mixed info online regarding protein levels and burning.

The packaging looks a bit different to their site but the pizza flour has more protein than the baking/pastry flour. So the pizza one is better for bready things like pizza and ciabatta.

Those flours come from Italy. If you want to save a few air-miles, we (UK) are more than capable of growing high protein wheat and have been for some time. Gone are the days when UK wheat was only fit for biscuits! Some flour millers will mill the very fine "OO" flour too, for pasta ... and pizza! Such as "Shipton Mill".

But switching between flours can cause variation unless you are willing to "adapt". So, I found the "Caputo" flour to be useless after getting used to "Shipton Mill". And some will find visa-versa. It's not the flour at fault, it's the Pizza maker! (Well, I didn't know a few weeks ago!). I had trouble with my previous sack of "Shipton Mill" flour. That turned out to be the naff summer weather in 2023 messing with the protein content. And the cold wet start to 2024 means we can expect the same from this year's wheat? And higher prices?

Of course, you can keep buying what you hope is a more consistent product from Italy? Until the climate change that attitude supports means the Italians have to come here for their Pizza flour 'cos they can't grow wheat anymore.

Oh look. @MashBag has just made a comment to back up some of what I'm saying. :thumbsup:
[EDIT: Ah, he was talking about bread yeast, not bread flour ... but just wait a bit ... ]

Last edited:
I could use @grooves original suggestion of the "French" dough (#21) instead of "Basic" dough (#16).

On the Panasonic there's not much difference, especially as you can switch off anytime into the final "rise" and chuck it in fridge (cold prove). And just hand mix for the initial "culture" (Poolish!) step. All these dough "programs" are a bit the same when it comes to looking at them closely.

Absolutely agree. I get Canadian and springs hard winter wheat and.... Arr I see your point. But you can use it for everything.

Found some yeast. Just finishing off sundried focaccha, cooked in a fry pan.

Anyone found a good seive, if you grind your own milling wheat ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back