Summer Brew Review Thread - Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my final golden ale is from @pilgrimhudd

Pours clean and clear with a light white head that lasts the whole pint.
Perfect carbonation, light gold in colour.
I get a hint of citrus on the nose.
Light to medium bodied with a hint of citrus and a big biscuit after taste.
Slight bitterness and dry finish.

Yep, I like this one as well!
Thanks for sharing.

EDIT - Forgot the photo...

Glad you enjoyed it!

I’m off the hook for driving later, so time for a couple of golden ales. First up, the brew from @pilgrimhudd and another hopped with Ernest.
Carbonation and clarity are both excellent. The malt aroma and flavour is a little lighter than the previous one which allows the Ernest to stand out. Lemony citrus aromas and flavours stand out with a little spicy note in the background.
It’s another winner from the Pilgrim; well made, very tasty and going down way to quickly. Cheers mate!
View attachment 73938

Thank you mate, glad you enjoyed it.

2nd beer @Mash Monster Hobsons choice.
View attachment 73934
It had very high carbonation that stirred up the yeast a little unfortunately. Big fluffy head from the high carb. Colour is straw with a little pale copper thing going on. Aroma is more about the hops, fruity not getting much of the malt character.
The taste is all about the hops too, again it's got a berry citrus and a little spice for me. Body is not too light but enough for it to be refreshing as all golden ales should be. Nice balanced bitterness for the 4.8%abv. nice beer ...all gone.
Thanks for sharing
Thanks for your kind words looks like it didn’t travel too well ! That’s the problem with being bottle conditioned. Well at least you managed to drink it 👍🏼

First beer to arrive so far is the offering from @Tess Tickle
It opened with a pleading hiss and poured a beautiful light golden crystal clear pint with a lovely white head which stayed to the end.
The aroma was neither malt or hop forward with a hint of caramel and slight pineapple or tropical fruit notes.
The flavour was a well balanced blend of malts with what I can only describe as candied or crystallised pineapple with a bitter sweet honey after taste which was very pleasing. The flavour and aromas became more intense as it warmed up a little. I could have quite easily just sat here and drunk more than a few. Many thanks for sending this one I thoroughly enjoyed it .

Attachments

• D210F4A2-919B-45FE-9A86-6F82137E57F8.jpeg
    D210F4A2-919B-45FE-9A86-6F82137E57F8.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
First beer to arrive so far is the offering from @Tess Tickle
It opened with a pleading hiss and poured a beautiful light golden crystal clear pint with a lovely white head which stayed to the end.
The aroma was neither malt or hop forward with a hint of caramel and slight pineapple or tropical fruit notes.
The flavour was a well balanced blend of malts with what I can only describe as candied or crystallised pineapple with a bitter sweet honey after taste which was very pleasing. The flavour and aromas became more intense as it warmed up a little. I could have quite easily just sat here and drunk more than a few. Many thanks for sending this one I thoroughly enjoyed it .

Thank you for your lovely review MM. I thought maybe I’d overdone the corn a little :)

I used EKG for bittering, along with olicana, jester and archer for aroma and flavour. Had an issue with the CFC so didn’t get the bitterness I was expecting.

First beer of the day is @Nottsbeer Landlord Crossover which is the 2nd beer kindly sent.
Perfect carbonation on this one with a good head. Great clarity and it's a light golden colour, definitely looks like a quality golden ale to me.
Aroma is more malt driven I think, seems like Maris or a heritage malt. Very light hop aroma mild citrus, English ale ...
Flavours come across bready/crackers from the malts and a light floral from the hops. Maybe some light English yeast esters. Nice clean fermentation with no faults that I'm picking up. It has a good level of bitterness and I think this is more balanced and more typical of the golden ales I have had.
Very enjoyable beer that fits the style well. Easy drinker with a nice level of bitterness and carbonation that keeps you coming back for another sip. Good job . Definitely preferred this one over the first beer. More qualities of a traditional golden ale.
IMG_20220827_170812.jpg
IMG_20220827_171041.jpg

So time for another golden ale, this time it’s by @Hazelwood Brewery

So this one had quite a substantial head on it! I am glad I decided to use a jug to pre-pour! 😅

It had light but persistent carbonation which suits the style very well I think. It is more on the hoppy side than malty, with a medium body I would say.

I think it is quite similar to mine in some ways, but without the maize, and this one is a lot more complex and dare I say more enjoyable than mine.

The colour is spot on for the style. The IBU’s say 41 but it doesn’t taste that bitter to my palate. I am relieved as I don’t enjoy beers that are that bitter. This is just right for my tastebuds.

It is a very clean fermentation in my opinion and as usual Mr H has done a grand job of the style.

Fabulous beer, and we both enjoyed it a great deal. Thank you for sending! 😀

Edit: just wanted to add, at the very end of the glass as it was warming up I got a beautiful floral aroma from the centennial and it was very nice indeed. 🍺

28619FE4-E37F-479D-AE60-86A145574BD7.jpeg

Last edited:
First up is from @Tess Tickle
C722A073-7CB9-43B0-AEC6-CD4086DAB24A.jpeg

Poured with a lovely white head that was a bit lively at first (that could have just been my rubbish pouring) that soon settled down. It’s a lovely golden straw colour with just a tiny bit of haze.
It had what I would class as a sweet tropical hint to the aroma.. This was further enhanced when tasting.. I got massive amounts of pineapple that was just a bit too sweet for me, needed a bit more bitterness for my palette and then would be top notch, in fact I’d brew this with a few tweaks .. Many thanks for sending it.
And on a plus note I’m still alive 😂

First up is from @Tess Tickle
View attachment 74004
Poured with a lovely white head that was a bit lively at first (that could have just been my rubbish pouring) that soon settled down. It’s a lovely golden straw colour with just a tiny bit of haze.
It had what I would class as a sweet tropical hint to the aroma.. This was further enhanced when tasting.. I got massive amounts of pineapple that was just a bit too sweet for me, needed a bit more bitterness for my palette and then would be top notch, in fact I’d brew this with a few tweaks .. Many thanks for sending it.
And on a plus note I’m still alive 😂

Thank you SMP! I hadn’t noticed the pineapple at all but now you and MM mention it, yes I totally get that too! Picking out flavours not my strong point, still learning though 😊

I wonder what hop gave that? Will have to look over my hops again! Thanks again for the insights!

So time for another golden ale, this time it’s by @Hazelwood Brewery

So this one had quite a substantial head on it! I am glad I decided to use a jug to pre-pour! 😅

It had light but persistent carbonation which suits the style very well I think. It is more on the hoppy side than malty, with a medium body I would say.

I think it is quite similar to mine in some ways, but without the maize, and this one is a lot more complex and dare I say more enjoyable than mine.

The colour is spot on for the style. The IBU’s say 41 but it doesn’t taste that bitter to my palate. I am relieved as I don’t enjoy beers that are that bitter. This is just right for my tastebuds.

It is a very clean fermentation in my opinion and as usual Mr H has done a grand job of the style.

Fabulous beer, and we both enjoyed it a great deal. Thank you for sending! 😀

Edit: just wanted to add, at the very end of the glass as it was warming up I got a beautiful floral aroma from the centennial and it was very nice indeed. 🍺

View attachment 74005
Thanks Tess. The style is supposed to be hop forward and I was a bit sad when the hops faded. It’s nice though that you thought it was still hoppy, thank you!

First beer of the day is @Nottsbeer Landlord Crossover which is the 2nd beer kindly sent.
Perfect carbonation on this one with a good head. Great clarity and it's a light golden colour, definitely looks like a quality golden ale to me.
Aroma is more malt driven I think, seems like Maris or a heritage malt. Very light hop aroma mild citrus, English ale ...
Flavours come across bready/crackers from the malts and a light floral from the hops. Maybe some light English yeast esters. Nice clean fermentation with no faults that I'm picking up. It has a good level of bitterness and I think this is more balanced and more typical of the golden ales I have had.
Very enjoyable beer that fits the style well. Easy drinker with a nice level of bitterness and carbonation that keeps you coming back for another sip. Good job . Definitely preferred this one over the first beer. More qualities of a traditional golden ale.
View attachment 73997View attachment 73998
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it 👍🍻🍻

This Golden Ale is from @Fazzer and is 5.2%

Again I’ve been lucky to get a beer that behaved well giving me a nice off white head. The head did collapse down after a minute or two to a thick persistent foam - like a really nice cask ale. As has already been mentioned the colour is a little dark maybe for the style but it was a nice appealing colour and the beer was clear.

9C984A8D-E812-4F2E-A188-F43865CE14D6.jpeg

The aroma is doughy malt, sweet caramel/toffee notes, and light fresh berries. Maybe also a hint of something darker like prune.

The flavour starts quite fruity and is then washed over by a rich caramel flavour. Bitterness builds and is quite assertive but it does suit the beer. The beer is clean apart from maybe a hint of oxidation on the finish which might just be my bottle and it wasn’t strong enough to spoil my enjoyment.

Thanks very much Fazzer, another great swap! 😉

PXL_20220827_181542526.jpg

After a long day preparing for tomorrow's family BBQ I figured it was time to sit and enjoy a beer.

Starting with @dave_77's golden ale.

A pleasing hiss on opening the bottle, which then pours a perfectly clear, straw coloured beer with a fluffy white head. Aroma is light with honeyed floral notes. Some honey in the taste but also some white wine/gooseberry and spicy notes. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing with a relatively high (but not out of style) level of carbonation. Bitterness is quite restrained but is well balanced considering the light body.

A very well brewed beer that I can see being drunk very quickly! Thanks for sharing acheers.

This Golden Ale is from @Fazzer and is 5.2%

Again I’ve been lucky to get a beer that behaved well giving me a nice off white head. The head did collapse down after a minute or two to a thick persistent foam - like a really nice cask ale. As has already been mentioned the colour is a little dark maybe for the style but it was a nice appealing colour and the beer was clear.

View attachment 74019
The aroma is doughy malt, sweet caramel/toffee notes, and light fresh berries. Maybe also a hint of something darker like prune.

The flavour starts quite fruity and is then washed over by a rich caramel flavour. Bitterness builds and is quite assertive but it does suit the beer. The beer is clean apart from maybe a hint of oxidation on the finish which might just be my bottle and it wasn’t strong enough to spoil my enjoyment.

Thanks very much Fazzer, another great swap! 😉
Hi Hazelwood, thanks for the review.
I'm so glad you liked it!

PXL_20220827_190031424.jpg

Now moving on to 'Hobson's Choice' by @Mash Monster.

Another perfectly clear beer, this time a touch darker in colour but with a similarly nice white head. Some fruity aromas which follow through into the taste, along with some subtle spice. Seems very hop forward as I'm not getting too much in the way of malt character, although there is a slight sweetness. Bitterness is well balanced and body is soft and light.

Another cracking beer that I'm thoroughly enjoying!

Latest posts

Back