Summer Brew Review Thread - Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5.5% Golden ale from @samale
View attachment 73929
Highly carbed bottle conditioned
Colour - golden, light haze
Aroma - floral and slight sweet smell
Flavour - earthy hops, slight herby, but nice!
Medium bitterness.
Very light malt flavour
Medium body with a dry finish

Very drinkable indeed. I can tell it's quite strong. My preference if I'm being picky would be a little lower ABV then I could have another pint right after, but that's individual preference.
I'd give it a 8/10 good beer - many thanks.
That's my first attempt at making a golden ale. It's hopped with harlequin hops and I used CML Pia yeast. I would probably change the yeast the next time. I am glad you enjoyed it and the carbonation looked to be good 👍

So the next brew to arrive was @dave_77 golden ale.
Poured lovely and clear. Very light in colour.
Very well carbed with a nice big white head that lasted the whole pint.
I'm not getting much on the nose to be honest, maybe a hint of fruit.
Very clean and crisp flavour. It's very much like a lager to me.
Nice clean finish, slightly dry.
I really liked this one. It's gone down a treat.

Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• 20220826_175324.jpg
    20220826_175324.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
I’m off the hook for driving later, so time for a couple of golden ales. First up, the brew from @pilgrimhudd and another hopped with Ernest.
Carbonation and clarity are both excellent. The malt aroma and flavour is a little lighter than the previous one which allows the Ernest to stand out. Lemony citrus aromas and flavours stand out with a little spicy note in the background.
It’s another winner from the Pilgrim; well made, very tasty and going down way to quickly. Cheers mate!
D1417E1D-1BB1-46E4-B751-AB449577A260.jpeg

2nd beer @Mash Monster Hobsons choice.
IMG_20220826_175003.jpg

It had very high carbonation that stirred up the yeast a little unfortunately. Big fluffy head from the high carb. Colour is straw with a little pale copper thing going on. Aroma is more about the hops, fruity not getting much of the malt character.
The taste is all about the hops too, again it's got a berry citrus and a little spice for me. Body is not too light but enough for it to be refreshing as all golden ales should be. Nice balanced bitterness for the 4.8%abv. nice beer ...all gone.
Thanks for sharing

So the next brew to arrive was @dave_77 golden ale.
Poured lovely and clear. Very light in colour.
Very well carbed with a nice big white head that lasted the whole pint.
I'm not getting much on the nose to be honest, maybe a hint of fruit.
Very clean and crisp flavour. It's very much like a lager to me.
Nice clean finish, slightly dry.
I really liked this one. It's gone down a treat.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed it👍🏼

So my final golden ale is from @pilgrimhudd

Pours clean and clear with a light white head that lasts the whole pint.
Perfect carbonation, light gold in colour.
I get a hint of citrus on the nose.
Light to medium bodied with a hint of citrus and a big biscuit after taste.
Slight bitterness and dry finish.

Yep, I like this one as well!
Thanks for sharing.

EDIT - Forgot the photo...

Attachments

• 20220826_194056.jpg
    20220826_194056.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
For anyone that doesn’t know, myself and the husband share everything, so hope you don’t mind @Fazzer and the other two lovelies who’s beers I have.

We’re giving your one a spin round the block tonight Fazzer as it arrived first up.

Just want to mention I know nothing about this style or how it’s supposed to taste, so I’ll just say what I see! 😜

So this one is a Munton’s Midas Touch at 5.2%. It is bottle conditioned so I’ve poured into a jug first to avoid any yeasties. Didn’t affect the head though at all. Was lovely and creamy.

We think the bitterness is spot on (I’ve got the guidelines on to help) and the carbonation level also.

It’s a little darker than I was expecting, and there is a little home brew twang. The husband says he can taste a little caramel, I can’t though.

I would say this one is a medium body and it has a lovely backbone with full flavour and we’re enjoying it.

Many thanks F!

AB3EB31B-FD77-4F4A-8A93-4FB9AF305AD5.jpeg

Last edited:
For anyone that’s doesn’t know, myself and the husband share everything, so hope you don’t mind @Fazzer and the other two lovelies who’s beers I have.

We’re giving your one a spin round the block tonight Fazzer as it arrived first up.

Just want to mention I know nothing about this style or how it’s supposed to taste, so I’ll just say what I see! 😜

So this one is a Munton’s Midas Touch at 5.2%. It is bottle conditioned so I’ve poured into a jug first to avoid any yeasties. Didn’t affect the head though at all. Was lovely and creamy.

We think the bitterness is spot on (I’ve got the guidelines on to help) and the carbonation level also.

It’s a little darker than I was expecting, and there is a little home brew twang. The husband says he can taste a little caramel, I can’t though.

I would say this one is a medium body and it has a lovely backbone with full flavour and we’re enjoying it.

Many thanks F!

View attachment 73956
Thanks for the comments Tess.
Glad you like it.

Coincidently, I’ve just poured the Golden Ale from @Fazzer too.
Bottle opens with a great hiss, pours well, carbonation and clarity are both very good, you’re seeing condensation on the glass in the photo, not haze.
The colour has gone beyond gold and is more a light amber. Bitterness levels are perfect for the style, malt and hop flavours are well balanced but a little muted compared to the previous two beers. I’m not sure what yeast comes with the kit but the fermentation is very clean and has been brewed without any off flavours.
All in all this is a very well executed beer, and thank you for sharing it.
You’ve clearly got your processes locked in, is it time to step up to extract or all-grain brewing??

EE0D790F-01B0-47D1-A6F7-38AAF7C263FC.jpeg

Coincidently, I’ve just poured the Golden Ale from @Fazzer too.
Bottle opens with a great hiss, pours well, carbonation and clarity are both very good, you’re seeing condensation on the glass in the photo, not haze.
The colour has gone beyond gold and is more a light amber. Bitterness levels are perfect for the style, malt and hop flavours are well balanced but a little muted compared to the previous two beers. I’m not sure what yeast comes with the kit but the fermentation is very clean and has been brewed without any off flavours.
All in all this is a very well executed beer, and thank you for sharing it.
You’ve clearly got your processes locked in, is it time to step up to extract or all-grain brewing??

View attachment 73958
Thanks for the comments Alastair, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Stepping up to extract and all grain would be the next step, yes. But not in the near future as i have too many other commitments.
I love doing the kits at the moment, they are just so quick and easy.

Latest posts

Back