Stuck ferment advice sought

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to Stuck Fermentation,
Thursday whilst racking off a Camden Pale Ale clone, for the 1st time in 3 years since recommencing home brewing I had a stuck brew at 1017.
Went for a cycle ride and had a think.
I had seen on this forum about repitching with active yeast, so thought I would give it a go.
Yeast initially used was Fermentis Safale US 05 which previously stopped at 1010 - 12.
Repitch was with Nottingham yeast c/o Wilko Danstar recently recovered from a Bitter brew. 10th gen. mind you. Normally goes down to 1008.
It took a few hours to get going but has been bubbling yeastfully away through the airlock all day long (yeast have no gender).
And yes it was raised 2°C up from before.
Conclusion - this forum is worth it's weight in gold.
Hopefully!
Question - is Safale 05 known to stick, or is it just bad luck?

My Duvel clone is slowly going. I've raised the temperature as the recipe suggests. My worry being that I don't want to keep opening the bucket as it'll get infected. But I just can't see any krausen round the side. There's a little on the top.

I know Wyeast 1388 is slow, but blimey, we're going to be here forever! I've got some Lalbrew Belgian strong dry stuff standing by if it stops.

Question - is Safale 05 known to stick, or is it just bad luck?

I've always found it to be one of the most reliable and versatile yeasts, usually getting 80 - 85% attenuation.
For some reason it wasn't happy - do you have temperature control, was it a high OG ?
Glad you've got it back on track 👍

Latest posts

Back