Batemans Dark M

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am developing a recipe for this fine Dark Mild Ale
The website says:
Dark, full bodied, rich and creamy, brimming with fruit and nut character.
Dark M returns! Dark in colour yet light in flavour and deceptively drinkable. Hints of cinder toffee and dark fruits, with a refreshing balance. The perfect dark delight.

I think the recipe has probably changed from the original Dark Mild, Protz and Wheelers recipe who list:
Pale malt
Crystal Malt
Chocolate Malt
Torrified Wheat
Invert Sugar and Golding hops:

The website lists a similar malt bill only Wheat malt rather than torrified and no mention of invert sugar though that doen't mean it has not been used.
They also list hops as Goldings, Bobek and Challenger
ABV: 3.4%, IBU: 24, EBC: 85

I have inputted the following into Brewfather:
23L batch
2600g Maris Otter
410g Dark Crystal (400EBC)
300g Chocolate (910 EBC)
200g Wheat Malt

This gives me an EBC in BF of 53 So I am not suure how I can get it to 85 without going more chocolate or adding some black malt, what do you think?
I have decided to use WLP002 yeast but not sure of a good water profile to use for a dark Mild but assume something fairly balanced on the Cl: SO4 ratio?

Its common to add some Black Malt if you want to darken a beer, i do it often: even a small amount will make a big difference.

Adding more Chocolate will change the flavour, plus you don't want to go above the recommended 10%. of the grist

looks an interesting recipe, not sure why you would want brown malt and black malt?
It's the invert No.1 that puts me off though
All of the ingredients add their own flavours to the beer it is not just about making the beer dark. Re the invert sugar every brewer, if allowed by law, at some time has used a product to reduce the cost of alcohol production. Invert is such a substance and it works well, again adding a little flavour. I am not sure that invert is actually cheaper than the extra malt addition equivelant now though but it is very simple to make and it keeps the final gravity down, which for this style of beer is important as there is a lot of roasted malts in it.

All of the ingredients add their own flavours to the beer it is not just about making the beer dark. Re the invert sugar every brewer, if allowed by law, at some time has used a product to reduce the cost of alcohol production. Invert is such a substance and it works well, again adding a little flavour. I am not sure that invert is actually cheaper than the extra malt addition equivelant now though but it is very simple to make and it keeps the final gravity down, which for this style of beer is important as there is a lot of roasted malts in it.
My reticence to use invert sugar was the difficulty in buying in small quantity, I always understood it to be a bit of a hassle to make.

Latest posts

Back