Stubborn stains in bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnCrackoff

Regular.
Reaction score
I've got about 15 pint brown beer bottles with stubborn stains in them, obvioulsy the previous owners were not members of the rinse it when you empty it brigade!! :grin:

I'm wondering whether thin bleach solution or caustic soda would be the best bet??

Any input guys?

Thanks Md, i'l get a bottle, or some from work.

I need another bucket now, i'l have to pop to the Colchester Homebrew tuesday after work, they open late. Trouble is this tends to turn into a tasting session of his lattest brews, and wines, then i have to drive home a couple of hours later!!

Needs must i suppose. :rofl:

Rice or Black Pepper corns and viniger. Put viniger in the bottle, let it soak a while, add the rice or corns (i use pepper corns rice goes soft after a while) and give a good shake.

snail59 said:
Rice or Black Pepper corns and viniger. Put viniger in the bottle, let it soak a while, add the rice or corns (i use pepper corns rice goes soft after a while) and give a good shake.

I hve tried the vinegar approch, it just didnt get rid of those persistant bits of scum, these bottles have been standing for years in a not very clen condition!

Forgot the HS isnt open lte this time of yer... that could have been :oops: :oops:

Luckily when i went to tesco to buy my value blech - 28p for 2ltrs i noticed 'hevy duty crates' was 3.50 now 98p...that'll do, nice sturdy black food grade plastic crates, take 15 bottles each and as i have 45 bottles thats spot on!

They're all sitting now filled to the brim with solution of thin bleach around 3%, whch desnt seem like much, and it doesnt smell much, is that strong enough? :hmm:

My 3% thin bleach solution hasnt even touched the stains, they're all still there.

Would these bottles now be sterilized enough to not infect the brew of should i try something else to get rid of these marks?

maybe thin bleach straight in, just to cover the bottom? :hmm:

I have to say that I rarely advocate anything which carries a Young's label, in fact there is currently only one of their products on my shelf. That one is their steriliser and cleaner, in powder form, the one which is usually available from Wilkinson's. On particularly soiled glassware it seems awesome, one teaspoonful to the gallon of hot water and you can watch the cack peel away from the surface.

I have some VPW, thats pretty harsh, i'l mix some up strong and soak again!

I was hoping to bottle my pilsner tonight, its been in the FV for 10 days now! :?

I've had DJs which have been down my cellar for 15 years (no bungs) or up my late father's loft for 20, plus others I've picked up off Freecycle. Young's steriliser & cleaner has shifted **** which my usual Harris Steri-Cleen (good product, lousy spelling) wouldn't touch.

CptnCrackoff said:
Will my bleach solution keep ok ...(snip).... Or will i need to make some more up?
Why would you need the bleach solution as well?

In any case, you're talking about pennies, I'd chuck it and mix some fresh.

Moley said:
CptnCrackoff said:
Will my bleach solution keep ok ...(snip).... Or will i need to make some more up?
Why would you need the bleach solution as well?

In any case, you're talking about pennies, I'd chuck it and mix some fresh.

Just to give everything a rinse on bottling day (tomorrow), the outsides of the bottles are a little grubby too, they could do with a quicke once over when i've got the **** out!

I'd also like to keep a tub of weak bleach in the garage for used bottles to be dumped into, a little tip i may have picked up somewhere... :whistle:

These bottles are starting to take over my life!!

I'm starting to think i should've dumped them but i'm sure once i get into a routine with them i'll have no further problems.

thanks again! :cheers:

A hot solution strong of washing soda should work wonders. . . . . If not a Hot solution of drain cleaner (caustic soda) will shift any organic deposit . . . wear gloves!

Another alternative is a Hot solution of an OXY action type cleanser (Whizz or oxyclean preferred) and a 15 minute soak.

If they don't work bin the bottles!

Aleman said:
A hot solution strong of washing soda should work wonders. . . . . If not a Hot solution of drain cleaner (caustic soda) will shift any organic deposit . . . wear gloves!

And safety glasses. It stings like buggery.

jamesb said:
Aleman said:

And safety glasses. It stings like buggery.

not just sting will do Permanent Damage do not risk eyes!!!

sorry but dead funny about eyes as only have one ;)

a lot of my problem is due to the fact that bottle brushes that fin in pint bottles only clean the sides!

Surely someone must make one with decent bristles on the end for cleaning the base..surely!! :twisted:

cut a green scotchbrite pad into a strip 1 cm wide and about 5 cm long. get some 1mm wire in a length greater than double the height of your bottles. . . Fold the wire in half and insert the Green Strip at the fold in the wire . . . so that half of it sticks out either side of the wire. Twist wire around strip to hold it in place. Insert other end into a cordless drill . . . put cleaning solution into bottle put end of wire with green scrubby into bottle . . . switch on drill . . . Clean bottle

Oh turn drill off before removing the scrubby from bottle :twisted:

Latest posts

Back