stubborn fermentation!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triker

Reaction score
I'm struggling to achieve a fermentation anywhere near 'dry'. I have just tested a batch of white grape which appears to have stopped fermenting. The hydrometer read 1080 when I started and its now down to 1020 after a month. I did try to start another fermentation last week but nothing has happened.

This is not the first time this has happened so my wine is a little sweet and weak. Any ideas guys :hmm:

take 500ml out and put in separate dj, add 100g sugar, flat teaspoon of yeast and flat teaspoon of yeast nutrient and see what happens

What yeast are you using? Are you adding nutrient?

Happy to help out but it's like starting a thread "Why won't my car start" and expecting an answer without giving any other background info :D

Yeah sorry I know my post is a bit vague but I thought 'keep it simple' just in case it was a fairly common problem :oops:

I use Harris's 'super yeast' which contains a nutrient.

Triker said:
Yeah sorry I know my post is a bit vague but I thought 'keep it simple' just in case it was a fairly common problem :oops:

I use Harris's 'super yeast' which contains a nutrient.

I use the youngs super wine yeast, great stuff but I always stick in some nutrient when making wines and ciders as there isn't quite the same levels as there is in beer. Might be worth sticking in some nutrient next time to see if that helps any :)

I can't think of any obvious reasons for a stuck ferment, I've been fortunate not to have any.... yet :D

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will get some more nutrient.

Also thanks for your idea Alan.

:thumb:

I have got 12 gallons of WOW which never got below 1010 I have tried everything I can think of including a different yeast, yeast cake from a wine kit, nutrient rousing all matter of things. I think it is going to get binned and I think a life of beaverdales is on the horizon. Funny though when I first made wow i had no problem dry as the sahara desert, but not now everytime I try another few gallons the same happens. :( :(

Yes my WOW turned out that way too. A good flavour (if a bit sweet) but not much of a kick :(

Back