St peters cream stout stuck

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I think I have a Cream Stout stuck at 1020 been there for 3 days and it's been on for 10 days. Do I need to give it a little help and if so, how?

It's brewing at 20/21c

Help apreciated, thanks!

Ok. Only ask because digital hydrometers are reknowned for stopping to drop around that value. I would leave it till day 14 and see if any more movement before trying anything else.

Options include a gentle stir with a stanitsed spoon, but the less you do the better. Also what was your starting gravity ?

No sure on SG.... so I can only go with the official one from St Peters, which is 1048.

I up'd the temp a couple of degrees yesterday, so I'm going to check progress later today. I suppose with Stout, longer the better...?

I've tried leaving it for another week, taking it to the suggested 14 days (kit says 6).

I put the mat under and temp went to 23 ish and gave it a gentle stir

Checked again and it's only moved to 1019 at best over a week. So that's 3.7 abv

Is there anything else I could do to waken the yeast? Do I add more yeast? Or is that it?

Thanks Gaz

Last edited:
The problem is that the yeast has run out of steam. Did you happen to note the size of the yeast packet it came with? Needs 11/12g for a 23L brew, some kits skimp on the yeast and only provide a 6g packet, and then the brews get stuck at 1020. It's a very common problem and lots of threads on here about it. Unfortunately you needed more yeast at the start and not the end, so adding more yeast now won't make a difference as most of the fermentables are used up. You could try adding 200-300g of sugar dissolved in a bit of warm water, and give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast: sometimes it works, but there isn't a foolproof way to get a stuck brew re-started.

The problem is that the yeast has run out of steam. Did you happen to note the size of the yeast packet it came with? Needs 11/12g for a 23L brew, some kits skimp on the yeast and only provide a 6g packet, and then the brews get stuck at 1020. It's a very common problem and lots of threads on here about it. Unfortunately you needed more yeast at the start and not the end, so adding more yeast now won't make a difference as most of the fermentables are used up. You could try adding 200-300g of sugar dissolved in a bit of warm water, and give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast: sometimes it works, but there isn't a foolproof way to get a stuck brew re-started.
Thanks.... I might as well give more sugar ago. Nothing to lose apart from time!

So, out of interest, do you more experienced brewers hold a stock of yeast and hops etc for things like this?

So, out of interest, do you more experienced brewers hold a stock of yeast and hops etc for things like this?

Yes, always keep a stash of yeast in the fridge. Crossmyloof is a good supplier, very cheap & good yeast if you buy in bulk https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/

But experience tells em that if a kit comes with only 6g of yeast, I'll throw it (or use it in a smaller brew) and substitute it for a 11/12g packet. Not worth taking the risk, I've had the infamous 1020 stuck brew as have many others on the forum.

Yes, always keep a stash of yeast in the fridge. Crossmyloof is a good supplier, very cheap & good yeast if you buy in bulk https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/

But experience tells em that if a kit comes with only 6g of yeast, I'll throw it (or use it in a smaller brew) and substitute it for a 11/12g packet. Not worth taking the risk, I've had the infamous 1020 stuck brew as have many others on the forum.
Thanks..... makes sense. I'm just trying to check the pk size on the St Peters site

Back