Sediment Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonlpearce

Reaction score
My first brew was a Better Brew Czech Pilsner. It was in the FV for about 2 weeks when the fermentation finished (it was brewed a little cold around 18 celsius). I then moved it to a secondary as it had a little bottler attached, but bottled straight away.

I now understand that a couple of weeks in the secondary would have been ideal.

Anyhow as you can imagine this has left me with a fair amount of sediment in my beer, making pouring a little difficult.

Is there a way of straining the beer? Perhaps by emptying out a teabag and cleaning it to get rid of any unwted flavours, then pouring it through this? :wha:

Hmm...I'm not sure about the tea bag idea. How are you pouring it? Tilt the glass, then have the bottle touching the glass pour slow but steady and leave the last wee bit in the bottle, most of the sediment should stay at the bottom. Also store your bottles upright. Hope that helps a wee bit

That's more or less how i am pouring, but i have to admit i can probably try and perfect this a little more. I do have 44 bottles left to practice on, lol.

I guess i could try the teabag idea on just one bottle, not got much to loose...

After your 2 weeks carbonating give the bottles plenty of time in the cold as this will help to pack the sediment down and make it harder to dislodge.

alanywiseman said:
After your 2 weeks carbonating give the bottles plenty of time in the cold as this will help to pack the sediment down and make it harder to dislodge.
:thumb: to that

simonlpearce said:
Roger that, will bung them in the garage where its plenty cold for a couple of weeks.

Couple of weeks in the cold will definitely help. You can always "practice" pouring with one or 2 in the meantime :whistle:

again and again.......time in the bucket and time in the bottle.
Will alleviate most problems

Back