Secondary fermentation containers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutman

Reaction score
I've bought a wine kit for my first ever attempt at making wine. I read everywhere, that you should siphon the wine into a glass or plastic carboy or demijohn for secondary fermentation.

All I have is two 25L fermenting buckets. Will it be ok to use one of these for secondary fermentation? I've also read that you shouldn't use equipment that you've used for brewing beer. Is this true?

Thanks in advance
Paul

The quick answer is Yes to both questions.

Glass is the preferred secondary container for two reasons: 1. You can watch as the wine clears. 2. Glass is impermeable so that your wine does not oxidize. Plastic buckets do allow the transfer of oxygen over long durtions.

I have experienced plastic buckets do absorb some aromas after fermentation. These aroma could impact your next wine or beer. I recommend using separate buckets.

you can buy 5 gal glass various, though they're not cheap, so I haven't done bigger batches than 1 gal yet! as long as the wine in any sitting in there for months (a few weeks should be fine and use a clampdown tan when you rack) the wine should be okay.

There is no such thing as primary and secondary fermentation, unless perhaps you are priming your wine for a bottle fermentation to give it a fizz.

If you were making a country wine using fruits, vegetables, etc. then you might start the process in a bucket and then strain it to a closed fermenter under airlock, but wine makers still wouldn't class those vessels as primary and secondary.

If you are making a kit or juice wine with no solid matter to be removed, then there is no reason why you should transfer your wine to another vessel, or certainly not from one bucket to another.

If you want to start your wine off in a bucket and then rack it to a closed fermenter or carboy, whether glass or plastic, then that is entirely your own choice. I know some people who do it because they believe it gives the yeast a better head start in the aerobic growth phase, but I never do it myself.

Wines shouldn't be made entirely in buckets though, the 30 litre screw topped fermenters are more appropriate for larger volumes.

Back