Rumour? is Wilko's going into administration?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone new coming to the hobby generally start with searching the web for "homebrew".
Also despite all the economic problems we have people in general have much more cash to spend on non-essentials compared to say 30 years ago, they often start straight away on the automated route rather than a plastic bucket and working their way through.

The Mounting Stone (Made Of Stone Brewery) in Bramhall sell homebrew supplies. I think technically that's Greater Manchester. I'm not sure how extensive their range is though.
Cheers I will look into that. Even if it is just base malt it's helpful.

I'm perfectly happy doing Kits , mainly Woodfordes based ones and think Wilko will be suffering like other High Street shops as people shop online

The big downer though on Online buying is the delivery charges. You can avoid them of course by getting past a minimum spend but it's always difficult if you don't buy 2 kits

Hard to comprehend making a loss on such a huge turnover. I think the same is happening in a lot of towns and city’s, shopping centres in suburbs are leading to decline in the centre of the towns and city’s. What they have done in Melbourne is encourage inner city living to overcome the lack of footfall and it seems to have worked.

Spreading rumours like this could be seen as an attempt to manipulate share price inviting heavy penalties, mods are you happy ?

Its a yes from me i cannot speak for the others. ;)

Wilkinson isn't a publicly listed company so share prices arent subject to public sentiment. In any cases, their financial position is well reported - Why is Wilko struggling? Look no further than B&M’s success here amingst other places. So questions over their stability are warranted.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly happy doing Kits , mainly Woodfordes based ones and think Wilko will be suffering like other High Street shops as people shop online

The big downer though on Online buying is the delivery charges. You can avoid them of course by getting past a minimum spend but it's always difficult if you don't buy 2 kits
I bought a Bure Gold kit direct from Woodforde's this week. Made up the free postage threshold with a mini keg of their pale ale athumb..

The same in Wolverhampton which is a nuisance as I wanted to stock up on their Nottingham yeast.I did an online stock search of nearby towns and none there either. Good while it lasted and at least I know before visiting Dark Rock on Monday which fortunately is only 30 minutes away.
Wilko Yeast has reappeared in stock online

Anyone new coming to the hobby generally start with searching the web for "homebrew".
Also despite all the economic problems we have people in general have much more cash to spend on non-essentials compared to say 30 years ago, they often start straight away on the automated route rather than a plastic bucket and working their way through.
Been using the plastic bucket for years! Gone though a few now, and still make lovely kit beer. Drinking one now, a Wilko Chocmeister.

As I was in Wolverhampton town centre I dropped into Wilko who had a few own brand kits and three packs of their yeast so two now left for anyone local. Would have got more if the BBE date had been longer but only up to December.

Went into my local Wilko yesterday and couldn't find anything, asked one of the staff to be told "the homebrew section has gone". Needed some seeds for the garden, only 60% of the rack stocked, looks to me like they're running things down.

Over the years I have found their stock to be very seasonal.
But what season, I'm not sure.

Mostly depleted, but occasionally fully stocked. So I'm not surprised with what people are reporting as HB supplies at wilkos within checking radius has always been sporadic at best.

Latest posts

Back