Questions about Yeast Pitching and All In One Cleanup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
Just finished brew day no 8! and need a bit of help. Making a Pilsner with Saflager yeast which needed to be pitched between 13-18c - in the excitement of making another brew I wasn't paying attention and found I had pitched the yeast at 20c. I use the chill in a cube overnight method - in fact it had two nights in the cold so assumed it would be about right.

So will this be badly cocked up, will it ferment, off flavours etc. or am I worrying too much. I have it in a temp controlled fridge which is gradually dropping to the correct temp but is taking a while.

My other question was about clean up with the Brew Monk AIO. I clean thoroughly after a brew and the clean again on the next brew day but this time when preparing and pumping cleaner through the recirc tube some gunge had clearly got stuck in the pump as at first nothing was coming through then after poking will a bit of thin cable a lot of gunge came out meaning another deep clean.

This time after the brew I cleaned out the AIO and then just kept the pump going for about half an hour with cleaner (VWP).

This question is what is the wisdom or otherwise of when finished cleaning of leaving some clean water in the AIO so the pump etc won't dry and get blocked if there is any grain left.

Good? Bad? or is there a better way.

Cheers

So will this be badly cocked up, will it ferment, off flavours etc. or am I worrying too much.
No, yes, no, yes.

Yeast are quite happy up to 35-45 degrees C (even lager yeast). We generally don't want the flavours they produce at those temperatures though. But you won't harm the yeast by making them a teensy-weensy bit warmer

As the AIO is "hot-side" in the sense that you are going to boil / sterilise everything that comes into contact with the next brew wort, such cleaning the equipment as per manufacturer's recommendation should be sufficient. A second "deep-clean sounds like pointless busy-work to me.

Back