Putting Beer into Corny Keg for first time.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
The day has finally arrived for me to put my beer into my Corny kegs and to say I am a bit nervous would be putting it mildly.
If theres a way of doing something wrong Im sure to do it lol.

I have a shifting spanner to connect my regulator to my 9l CO2 tank.
I have my splitter which is connected to the co2 tank while also housing my two gas lines for my two cornies..

I am just about to wash my cornies with hot soapy water then sanitise them using wilkos baby sterilising tablets (which i normally use or my FV's pressure barrels) will this be ok?

At present I dont have a suitable spanner to unlock the nuts of the beer and gas fittings on the keg (will it be ok to still go ahead)?

Once I put in sterilising tablets I will leave half hour then rinse out.
then what do I do just pour the beer into keg from my FV?
Do I need to run through the un-used beer line tap?

should I rock the keg for 10/15 mins before putting co2 in?
what pressure should I initially put in?
Once the co2 is in do I turn it off or do I leave it running ?

Hi!
Beer and gas posts - get a 22mm combination spanner. I would advise delaying your kegging until you can remove the posts, clean and then sanitise them.
I clean my cornies by stripping down, putting the gas tube and all fittings apart from the long beer draw tube into Oxy cleaner (I never use washing-up liquid to clean brewing equipment). I put the draw tube into the corny and fill to over half way with Oxy cleaner and stand for 10 minutes. Then I put a bucket over the keg and invert the whole keg and leave for 10 minutes more.
I repeat this process to rinse, and again to sanitise, but I only leave the keg for a minute each end. You may want to take longer with sanitisation - my sanitiser works in 30 seconds.

The day has finally arrived for me to put my beer into my Corny kegs and to say I am a bit nervous would be putting it mildly.
If theres a way of doing something wrong Im sure to do it lol.

I have a shifting spanner to connect my regulator to my 9l CO2 tank.
I have my splitter which is connected to the co2 tank while also housing my two gas lines for my two cornies..

I am just about to wash my cornies with hot soapy water then sanitise them using wilkos baby sterilising tablets (which i normally use or my FV's pressure barrels) will this be ok?

At present I dont have a suitable spanner to unlock the nuts of the beer and gas fittings on the keg (will it be ok to still go ahead)?

Once I put in sterilising tablets I will leave half hour then rinse out.
then what do I do just pour the beer into keg from my FV?
Do I need to run through the un-used beer line tap?

should I rock the keg for 10/15 mins before putting co2 in?
what pressure should I initially put in?
Once the co2 is in do I turn it off or do I leave it running ?
I take the view that steralising the cornie with Milton baby tablets and running it out through the beer out post sanatises every part that comes into contact with beer and rarely disassemble the gas and beer posts,folk in my opinion get far too paranoid about sanatisation

will hold off till I get 22mm combination spanner which I presume is the universal size of the keg nuts? A few days more in the FV isnt going to hurt I dont suppose... The beers been in there since 13th Nov six and a half weeks.

Hi,
Just seen your post, did you get round to kegging yet? I am keen to hear how it went as I would like to move on from bottling to kegging in the near future, but the fact it seems such a daunting task does put me off slightly

running it out through the beer out post sanatises every part that comes into contact with beer and rarely disassemble the gas and beer posts,folk in my opinion get far too paranoid about sanatisation
Hi!
Fair point - I remember now that I removed the posts to soak them in Wizz Oxi solution because the kegs were second hand and it was the first time I'd used them.
I'm interested in trying to use compressed air to sanitise kegs, in order to save on CO2 - air is free!
I wondered whether this idea could be developed?
I already use a garden pressure spray to clean and sanitise tubing and racking equipment.

Last edited:
I take the view that steralising the cornie with Milton baby tablets and running it out through the beer out post sanatises every part that comes into contact with beer and rarely disassemble the gas and beer posts,folk in my opinion get far too paranoid about sanatisation

That sounds logical to me, and as a lazyish brewer that's how i do it. At some stage though, maybe once a year i imagine would it be worth taking the posts out for a full clean?

I finally got the beer in the kegs after a few failed attempts..what I was doing wrong was once I had connected the gas lines to the kegs I opened the CO2 and after a few secs (thinking I had enough in Kegs I closed. Then opened the regulator clockwise and nothing happened) I then did the following and it seems to work....regulator closed anti clockwise. Open CO2 (keep open dont close) the noise of the CO2 will stop. I then purged (pulling the two wire rings on the top of the kegs till pressure at zero).Then Iopened the regulator turning clockwise (it wont do anything until a good few turns. Then it starts to release gas into kegs
Stop at your required pressure....when wanting to release use the wire rings...when wanting to increase turn reg clockwise. Always then turn off anti clockwise. I also leave the CO2 on at all times...
This is how I done it and it worked for me.

Latest posts

Back