Plastic pressure barrel max PSI?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing my first lager - Coopers Australian. Its been in my plastic pressure barrel for two weeks, and is gassed up and nice and clear. It looks perfect - tastes ok - a tad bitter, but I'm hoping time will help that! My question is regarding my plastic keg. Does anyone know how many PSI they are designed to take, and how many PSI they can actually take should i brave fitting an adjustable release valve) what approx pressure do the little rubber band valves vent at?

My understanding is that commercial lager is gassed to about 14PSI and thats what I'd like to aim for to get it to the right fizz.

I suspect my plastic barrel is much less, as although its gassed, its pretty flat once poured. It has a nice head, but the beer itself isnt really 'fizzy'.
My local shop said forget plastic barrels for lager and go for bottles - but i REALLY want to have draught lager at home! A stainless 'corny' keg sounds great, but I'm hoping to avoid that expense.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Paul

thankyou for the replies.
I'd really love the corny keg solution, but I can't splash out on that just yet. I definately plan to eventually though!

Has anyone tried upping the pressure of a plastic one? Most pressure vessels are made to withstand four times their working load, so tweaking one to 14psi or so doesnt seem terrible dangerous. Does it?

Paul

Has anyone tried upping the pressure of a plastic one? Most pressure vessels are made to withstand four times their working load, so tweaking one to 14psi or so doesnt seem terrible dangerous. Does it?

Paul[/quote]id be worried about deforming the shape of the barrel or worse blowing the tap off

Latest posts

Back