Plastic demijohns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanM

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

the is my first post here so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have a glass and a plastic DJ and also use a brewing belt for heating. I understand that if I am only brewing 1 gallon then I should also use a DJ of water to compensate for the small volume and thus get the temperature right. I would expect the plastic DJ to be ok with a heating belt but want to check with you guys.

Cheers,

Alan

Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake (well I haven't been awake long) and I have never used a brewbelt.

If you're saying that a belt is long enough to go twice around a DJ, that would probably get far too hot so it would be much better to go once around two jars.

It's not going to melt the plastic, if that's what you're asking.

I don't get it though - why fill the second jar with water - start two brews :drunk:

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

What are you planning to brew? Brew belts generally get too warm for fermentation of beer and wine 18-22 deg c is just about right indoors. Unless your fermenting outdoors then you would be better heating a larger fermenting vessel and standing uour djs in that (water bath) :D

mark1964 said:
you would be better heating a larger fermenting vessel and standing your djs in that (water bath) :D
Agreed, if you have a 5 gallon brewing bucket (or something similar) it would be better to half fill that with water, stand your DJ in the water bath and put the belt around the bucket, about half way up.

Moley said:
mark1964 said:
you would be better heating a larger fermenting vessel and standing your djs in that (water bath) :D
Agreed, if you have a 5 gallon brewing bucket (or something similar) it would be better to half fill that with water, stand your DJ in the water bath and put the belt around the bucket, about half way up.

Good idea, but instead of using the belt, throw it in the bin and buy a fish tank heater instead.

Honestly those belts are *****, the temperature fluctuates far too much, with a fish tank heater it switches its self off if the temp goes above 22(or whatever you set it to) and on if it drops below that.

Fish tank heaters do a far better job and (bizarrely!) they're cheaper than belts or brew mats.

shadow47 said:
instead of using the belt, throw it in the bin and buy a fish tank heater instead. Honestly those belts are *****
:lol: I think Mark and I were trying to be a little more diplomatic about it, but you've hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for the replies.

I normally brew just beer and am giving a white wine kit a go. The belt is just in case the temperature drops again.

any recommendations so far as kits go ? tried a solomon grundy but not happy with the result(like fruit juice but dry) so trying a small california connoisseur kit. Am I expecting too much for kits in terms of taste/complexity?

Cheers,
Alan

AlanM said:
I normally brew just beer and am giving a white wine kit a go. (snip) .... any recommendations so far as kits go ?
Ok, stuff the diplomacy, my recommendation for white wine kits would be “don't bother, save your money and try a Wurzel's Orange”.

For reds, Beaverdale, CalCon or upwards.

shadow47 said:
Definitely, steer well clear of the cheap red wine kits :sick: .
... and anything which even hints that it might be ready to drink by next week. :rofl:

Moley said:
shadow47 said:
Definitely, steer well clear of the cheap red wine kits :sick: .
... and anything which even hints that it might be ready to drink by next week. :rofl:

I agree if something says it is ready in a week it has to be marketed for the raging alcholics who would drink aftershave and have no concern for how it tastes. :lol:

Latest posts

Back