Planning first cider, please help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am an all grain beer brewer but fancy trying a cider for summer. I am planning on doing a smallish (around 10 litre) brew which will be kegged, force carbonated and served through my kegorator so I won't need any priming.

I like the sound of the recipe in the second post in this thread (https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/sweet-turbo-cider-recipes-please.65105/) ... but ... I can't find Lowicsz Strawberry syrup and I don't want something 9%! So I was thinking of

I was going to boil the cordial before adding to the FV, by my caclulations the apple juice would contain around 880gm of sugar which will give me around 5%.

Does the above sound ok? any advice before I start would be much appreciated 😁

Sorry not an expert here but the cordials have preservatives that will stop the fermentation are you planning to add this after its fermented?

As you have the equipment for force carbonate that should not be an issue, let it run to dry then back sweeten?

Only part not sure of is if the sugar will react with whats left of the yeast?

over the those who know better than me

Thanks for that, I saw that the cordial had preservatives and assumed that boiling would drive those off? The original recipe used a similar cordial that I assumed had been replaced with the one I linked to. I suppose I could add them after fermentation to back sweeten as you suggest 👍

Thanks for that, I saw that the cordial had preservatives and assumed that boiling would drive those off? The original recipe used a similar cordial that I assumed had been replaced with the one I linked to. I suppose I could add them after fermentation to back sweeten as you suggest 👍

A few have commented that even boiling does not overcome the preservatives, I would play safe and back sweeten as being able to force carbonate you have that freedom.

Don't do it!!!
Apart form the stabilisers and preservatives mentioned above, these things contain artificial sweeteners which are going to leave your cider cloyingly sweet. Try to find a fruit juice with no artificial sweeteners or preservatives.

Why would you add apple concentrate if you;re using apple juice. You can be sure the apple and strawberry is balanced in favour of the apple as it's much cheaper.

Here we are:

Ingredients​

INGREDIENTS: Water, Apple Juice from Concentrate (36%), Citric Acid, Strawberry Juice from Concentrate (4%), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Malic Acid, Sweeteners (Sucralose, Acesulfame K), Colour (Anthocyanins), Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulphite), Flavourings.

Only 4% strawberry concentrate and 36% apple concentrate.
Sucralose and A Acesulfame Potassium are about 600 and 200 times as sweet as sugar respectively, both can have undesirable side effects.
Potassium sorbate won't be boiled off and will stop yeast activity. Sodium metabisuphite will boil off. BUT if you boil your cider it's going to taste like stewed apples. Cider ISN'T boiled like beer.

Back to the drawing board, I should say.

Sorry.

Edit: The Belvoir brand is widely available and doesn't contain any of the shi'ite that the Tesco stuff has (I think). Not so easy to source Enlglish brands in France, but I get the Belvoir Ginger cordial shipped over and it's très not bad.

Last edited:
No need to be sorry @An Ankoù, I appreciate the advice 👍

If I am being honest about why I was planning on using the apple and strawberry cordial it is because I had mistakenly thought it was just strawberry until I went to grab the link to put in the post 😂 and then at that point I thought it is going in an apple cider so wouldn't be a problem

I will have a look at what I can get hold of at weekend, if I can't find anything suitable to flavour it I will just do a plain cider with the apple juice and then experiment in the glass to see if there is anything suitable for me to add at kegging next time

just ferment straight apple juice and back sweeten with cordials to get the flavor you are looking for. works much better IMO. also add tannins (in the form of strong black tea ) and acid ( juice of lime or lemon will work)
and add nutrirents. most yeasts even cider yeasts dont like streaight apple juice. ymmv

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/grahams-english-cider.107152/

I think that is the way I am going to go, I have been in 2 supermarkets looking for something suitable to flavour it but can't find anything so I will just experiment in the glass before adding something to the keg. I will also throw some black tea in before fermentation 👍

Latest posts

Back