PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easily the nicest day of the year here, thought i'd bring my brewing schedule forward and do the Belgian Pale today.

2 kgs Pale
2 kgs Vienna
200g Cara dextrin
200g Cara Gold

Mashed for 2 hours at 62, brought up to 75 for 15 mins than mash out.

25g Challenger @30
15g Styrian Golding & 15g EKG @15
10g Styrian Golding @ 10 EKG @ flameout. Held at 80c for 20 mins.

Cooled down to 25 and pitched Lalbrew Belgian Style Ale, temp set at 23.5 as the guff says that higher temps give you tropical fruit flavour, sounds good! OG 1052

Bottled! Finished at 1012 which makes it 5.2%, seems to be my stock abv at the mo. First tasting out of the fermenter, hmmm maybe not quite enough bitterness, maybe a little too sweet, nice Belgian character to it though, perhaps a few bubbles will help cut through the sweetness.

Porter done! Just cooling now as i've had to dilute with boiled water to get the OG down a little...

A user upper of malt in this one, at least it means I can close the lid on the box under the bed. Mashed at 68c

2kg Pale
1.5kg Munich
500g wheat
500g Pilsner
500g ish Vienna
400g Choc
400g Special B
200g Dextrin

Boiled for an hour this time

30g Marynka @60
30g Marynka @10
40g Marynka whirlpool for 20mins @80c.

OG 1062 but diluted with 3.5l of boiled water to bring it back to 1051. Will pitch CML Beor probably tonight/tomorrow morning.
Bottled!

Did think that it might finish high due to the dark malt but not a bit, finished down at 1012, making it 5.1%. Tastewise, quite chocolatey, bit of spice in there, tastes good

Also, my probably final crack at a West Coast ipa/pale thing to be honest, all of mine have been cack in the past so if this isn't any good I'm taking down the stars and stripes and brewing bitters for the rest of my life.

5kg pale ale malt

60 min boil

20g columbus @30
20g columbus and 20g cascade @10
30g cascade and el dorado @flameout

Will dry hop in a weeks time with el dorado and cascade.

Pitched cml 5. Og 1057

Bottled!

Did think that it might finish high due to the dark malt but not a bit, finished down at 1012, making it 5.1%. Tastewise, quite chocolatey, bit of spice in there, tastes good
Just had a peek at the recipe for this - I swear you're just making up the names of hops now just to see if anyone's paying attention 🧐

Also, my probably final crack at a West Coast ipa/pale thing to be honest, all of mine have been cack in the past so if this isn't any good I'm taking down the stars and stripes and brewing bitters for the rest of my life.

5kg pale ale malt

60 min boil

20g columbus @30

Pitched cml 5. Og 1057

What issues have you been having with them previously?

The recipe looks good to me. I'd personally add a bit more hops in the flameout/whirlpool though.

5kg pale ale malt

60 min boil

20g columbus @30

Pitched cml 5. Og 1057

If this one turns out not to your liking just stick it somewhere for a month or two. I made an APA and really didn't like it, then after 6 weeks or so it tasted nice.

What issues have you been having with them previously?

The recipe looks good to me. I'd personally add a bit more hops in the flameout/whirlpool though.

Generally poor, most have been overly bitter with no real hop flavour, I guess that's the main issue. A few have been oxidised, some have been very murky. Some have had hop bits floating around. I've brewed a fair few and probably only brewed 2 that I have been happy with.

I would guess that it's more that this style doesn't suite my 'chuck in' type of brewing.🤣

If it helps this is my West Coast IPA recipe that has previously medalled in comps.

Malt:
Pale - 95%
Caramalt - 5%

Boil Hops:
Magnum - 10g @ 60mins
Chinook - 15g @ 30mins
Chinook - 20g, Simcoe - 10g, Amarillo - 10g @ 5mins

Hop Stand (20mins @80degC)
Amarillo - 50g
Simcoe - 50g

Dry Hop (Post-fermentation, at 12degC for 2-3 days)
Amarillo - 75g
Simcoe - 75g

After today I will be hanging my brewing pots and pans up for a little spell as i've got a good few on the go now and replenished falling stocks of booze.

I brewed my version of a Exe Autumn Gold from Graham Wheelers book.

5kg Otter
200g Light Crystal (though i'm not actually sure how light it is.)
200g Dark Crystal

Mashed for an hour at 65c

Boiled for an hour

Fuggles 35g @60
Aurora 20g @60
Aurora 30g @10

Chilled and CML Midland pitched at 24c as it stubbornly wouldnt fall to 22c..... OG 1050 on the nose.

I've got a recipe that I think you will enjoy. I enjoyed it at least. You just need to make sure that you don't splash when adding priming sugar when bottling if you bottle.

If you keg after you fill it and put on the CO2 open the valve and let it vent for a few seconds to let the CO2 fill the air space. It's not as good as a closed transfer but I've found it's not to far off.

I'll dig it up and do the conversions to metric for you so it might be a day or two.

One quick question. Do you like Citra and Mosaic hops and can you source them over there?

I've got a recipe that I think you will enjoy. I enjoyed it at least. You just need to make sure that you don't splash when adding priming sugar when bottling if you bottle.

If you keg after you fill it and put on the CO2 open the valve and let it vent for a few seconds to let the CO2 fill the air space. It's not as good as a closed transfer but I've found it's not to far off.

I'll dig it up and do the conversions to metric for you so it might be a day or two.

Great, i'd love to have a look.

After today I will be hanging my brewing pots and pans up for a little spell as i've got a good few on the go now and replenished falling stocks of booze.

I brewed my version of a Exe Autumn Gold from Graham Wheelers book.

5kg Otter
200g Light Crystal (though i'm not actually sure how light it is.)
200g Dark Crystal

Mashed for an hour at 65c

Boiled for an hour

Fuggles 35g @60
Aurora 20g @60
Aurora 30g @10

Chilled and CML Midland pitched at 24c as it stubbornly wouldnt fall to 22c..... OG 1050 on the nose.

Bottled! And tastes fabulous! Really impressed with myself here, it's got a lovely fruity taste to it, gave some out of the fermenter to the painter who looked a bit dubious but said it tasted good (and I don't think he was lying.....).

Finished at 1012 which makes it 5%.

Oh and I lied about hanging up the pots and pans....

I have been asked to bring some beer to a camping trip in August so I thought i'd brew my tried and tested Ernest and Bramling Cross Pale, I used this recipe which I think has been the best of the 3 or 4 that i've brewed and juggled the hops about a bit for each one.

4 kg Pale
300g Pale Crystal 59 ebc
200g CaraPils
200g Wheat (not sure about this addition)

25g Challenger @ 60 22.4 IBU
20g Bramling X @10 5.2 IBU
20g Bramling X @5 2.9 IBU
30g Ernest @5 3.5 IBU

Whirlpooled another 40g Ernest and 30g Bramling at 70c for 30 mins.

Pitched CML Atlantic. OG 1053

Latest posts

Back