Overly Bitter IPA Post-Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The word I heard loudest from this entire thread was "daunting"

Years ago I was in mates hifi shop, a bloke came in and asked to buy the best deck, the best pickup, the best amp etc. Before he had finished my mate told him what speakers he would choose.

"how did you know? "

"they are the top reviews in this months 'What HiFi' magazine.. And they will sound terrible all together"

And I have done it too.
Buying shiney is easy, we are here to help improve your brewing skills and just like beer, it does take time. If it was easy everyone would be doing it 😁

Philosophy over.. Back to beer.

IPA + kviek + under pressure is that not making anyone else twitch?

Why not start afresh, with a simple, open brewed, yeasted beer. That will make you grin.

If the problem is still there we correct it from a known place. One change at a time..
And make some more beer 🍻 🍻

Last edited:
So I've been making all grain brews for around a year, not with a lot of frequency, but all of my beers have had one thing in common in that they are overly bitter straight after fermentation. After a couple of weeks they mellow out and become enjoyable beers.

I was hoping to be able to turn brews around within a week using kviek as I'm usually too disorganised to have more kegs ready for the kegerator so any pointers from more experienced brewers on how to avoid the issue would be appreciated.

I've tried to think of the things that may play a part but as I'm fairly new, might be miles off the mark...
I've never used a campden tablet until my latest brew but bad the same issue with using tap water and Tesco Ashbeck bottled water. All brews are IPA/NEIPA style and all have been dry hopped. Sparge water is cold as I don't have a second heater. Wort passes through a mesh before going into the fermenter. All fermented under pressure and dry hopped with a bag/magnet inside the fermentation vessel then oxygen free transferred to keg. Same issue using Verdant, US05, Lutra (all dry) and some liquid yeast I can't remember the name of.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated as it seems pointless using kviek if you stil have to wait 14 days for it to be drinkable which leads me to think my process is the issue. Thanks!
I started off with my AIO with a 'simple' SMASH, & it was pretty unpleasant, which has now mellowed (after about 2 months in keg & bottle).
The ultra hoppy beers do mellow with time. If you do want to drink then young then the others have posted good advice - some minimal water treatment & reduce the hop bill

Back