Novalager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's Novalager? down to 1005? c.89% apparent attenuation?
Yeah it's a great fermenter, according to beersmith I went from 1.054 to 1.006, I think it's likely closer to 1.009 though based on another calculator.

Yeah it's a great fermenter, according to beersmith I went from 1.054 to 1.006, I think it's likely closer to 1.009 though based on another calculator.
Confused. The graph suggests 1.044 to 1.005. That's about 89% which is diastatic, saison, territory. 1.054 to 1.006 is also about 89%.

If it's 1054 to 1009 then it's 83% which feels more likely I think.

Very rapid fermentation obviously. How much conditioning time required though?

Confused. The graph suggests 1.044 to 1.005. That's about 89% which is diastatic, saison, territory. 1.054 to 1.006 is also about 89%.

If it's 1054 to 1009 then it's 83% which feels more likely I think.

Very rapid fermentation obviously. How much conditioning time required though?
The data sheet from llalemand is 78-84%, I pressure ferment so have to use a refrac for FG measurements so take that 1.006 with a grain of salt. I'll pull another sample and calculate it again to double check.

It's moving along quick and becoming very neutral. It's good now but still has that kellerbier taste.

About a month later, and wow has it changed. It's clearing up well but has a lot of apple now in the flavour and aroma.

20230308_170530.jpg

Doesn't sound good! More like Novacider.
Yeah it's not quite that strong, but the apple is kind of dry cider like. It's definitely still a lager but probably more similar to the Budweiser yeast. I am going to put it in the colder refrigerator and see if it gets better serving from there. Right now it's in my chest freezer at 9c.

Hi @Pennine. Fascinating, particularly now that I've got some of this.
I just wondered what was your fermentation profile? Lall reccon 10-20*C? The flavour profile does show significant 'red apple'
I pressure fermented 10psi at 16c temp.

I was just surprised howuch it changed from being pretty clean to now having apple esters.

Ok so 2 months after brewing, it's a very passable pilsner, still some apple but it's feint but gets stronger as it warms up. There is no sulphur at all, which makes it seem less crisp than other lagers and accentuates the malts.

20230403_175752.jpg

Ok so 2 months after brewing, it's a very passable pilsner, still some apple but it's feint but gets stronger as it warms up. There is no sulphur at all, which makes it seem less crisp than other lagers and accentuates the malts.
Sounds like an ale lager hybrid. Which makes sense given that Novalager is an ale lager hybrid...

Two thirds ale one third lager I think. Genetically speaking.

fermenting this at the moment. Struggling with temp control as my fermentation fridge is playing up so temperaure is swinging a bit but within the temp specs on the packet.

I'm using it with a saison recipe so looking for a lager-ish saison love child!!

Fermenting out pretty quick, starting to tail off after two days so another 24 to 36hrs left I think, but not sure it's going to hit FG unless my iSpindel is way out. It usually reads a bit high but will have to be reading alot higher than normal to hit FG.

Just ordered a few packets out of curiosity. I'm usually happy to make my lagers with one of the tried and tested lager yeasts and then shove the crates under the garage and forget about them for at least 6 months. Started making GPAs (aka pseudo lagers) hopped with Nectaron and fermented with M-54, Can't say I've ever got bananas from the M-54! Anyway, that's where my first packet of Novalager will go and, if the red apples come through, I think it might not go too badly with the Nectaron. I'll also have a go at a pilsner-type lager although I'll probably use something like Taiheke rather than one of the trad noble hops. Thinking of working with the apple rather than against it, but just forward planning, really. A bit wary about some of the above comments about clearing. I've fermented beers with K97, which is a slow clearer, too, but a few weeks in the bottle and the beer drops as clear as a bell.

I have to be honest I am not sure I would use it again. It reminds me a bit too much of the Budweiser yeast and is not as crisp as I like for a lager and maybe a bit to cidery especially on the back end.

It would be fine in a hoppy lager or with fruity hops, which it does seem to accentuate.

It clears in time like all the other lager yeasts and does have very little sulphur after a couple weeks of lagering.

I'm still a 34/70 fan although i am using imperial harvest in my Vienna lager which is pretty good so far.

Here is one of the last pints of the keg.

20230414_104454.jpg

I'm slightly disappointed by your experiences Pennine. Had high hopes for this. Certainly doesn't sound like a viable option for me preferred types of lager eg yer European, German Helles or Czech style.

I guess further info will come out with experience of more people trying it.

I'm slightly disappointed by your experiences Pennine. Had high hopes for this. Certainly doesn't sound like a viable option for me preferred types of lager eg yer European, German Helles or Czech style.

I guess further info will come out with experience of more people trying it.
Yes I would agree if you are shooting for those styles this isn't the yeast you want to use. However I did pressure ferment this relatively warm so that may also contribute to the fruitiness I am getting.

Just a thought do you not think the yeast should be used the old fashioned way, non-pressure fermented to see what is is like and then use this as a control before pressure or any other non-standard fermentation method as it will not be giving a true idea of what the yeast is.
I am not saying do not pressure ferment but use as it was meant to be first

Just a thought do you not think the yeast should be used the old fashioned way, non-pressure fermented to see what is is like and then use this as a control before pressure or any other non-standard fermentation method as it will not be giving a true idea of what the yeast is.
I am not saying do not pressure ferment but use as it was meant to be first
Yes, well sort of. I wouldn't want to convince anyone else not to use it. And I always would recommend someone to try it out themselves.

As for pressure fermenting, I don't notice much difference between fermenting cold, warm or pressure fermenting once you let them sit for a month.

I’ve got 2 packs of this gratis from lallemand sitting in my freezer right now. I’ll be doing a German Pils fermented in a standard ss brewtech bucket so I can give another view on how it turns out after that.

Back